vBorg tips it's hat to XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Doctor

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Likes system added to vbulletin.org

vBulletin.org added a Likes system to the site. If you find a post you like, then just click on the little Like button,
like.gif
, and let us know you like it.

Please post any problems you are having in this thread so we can address them.

Thank you, Lynne

vBulletin.org.like.with.heart.webp

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=265471

Q: Do you get a notification when someone likes your post? No.
Q: how do we unlike a post if we want to? Can't.
Q: Will it be released by vB.org ? No.
Q: Is there a Paid Mod for Likes ? Yes. (third party).
dragonbytes.likes.pro.webp

/me says I'm not feeling vexed.
It's mildly ironic IB sues xF for "Copying" vB ... and vBorg "blantantly copies" xF's like.
This *IS* the Off Topic forum.

Yes, however, what would new customers think when all they see here are posts about how vb sucks instead of how great xf is?

I've had PLENTY of users leave to start competing forums and every one of them that focused around how bad the other guy was ultimately failed. I'm sure you've seen the same. So lets help keep xenforo going strong by developing our own forum culture, one that does not have vbulletin sitting at any capacity near the heart of it all.

Yes, however, what would new customers think when all they see here are posts about how vb sucks instead of how great xf is?

I've had PLENTY of users leave to start competing forums and every one of them that focused around how bad the other guy was ultimately failed. I'm sure you've seen the same. So lets help keep xenforo going strong by developing our own forum culture, one that does not have vbulletin sitting at any capacity near the heart of it all.

Very well said. I, for one, am tired of seeing threads started about vBulletin.

We need to stop the fussing over vBulletin folks.... there are other sites and places for that if needed. Let's help define xenforo.com by what =we= are doing with the software, not by how vexed we are at the tribulations going on over in vbland.
After what vB did to Xf? I say you should have fun fussing over them :love:

After what vB did to Xf? I say you should have fun fussing over them :love:

I've already stated what I think about the lawsuits elsewhere, so I won't reiterate that here, but I'd much rather spend my time and energy on more productive things than mulling over vBulletin.

That said, these threads don't bother me as I can easily avoid them, but I do agree with others who don't see the point in them.

ive seen plenty of communities come about because of some grievance with the former board, and in not a single case were the initial months spent not spent talking about how ****ty the old place was. even years later people will talk about how ****ty the old place was.

Very well said. I, for one, am tired of seeing threads started about vBulletin.
While this is true, the irony isn't lost on me that they accuse XF of pinching loads of ideas off vBulletin and then they go and pinch one from XF!

Admittedly its not a unique idea (it came from Facebook after all), but I did chuckle when I saw it. Although I'd have thought they would be concentrating with fixing the 900 odd confirmed bugs than adding new features.

New Forum users almost always say that XF is a lot like facebook... they relate to xf's like system by having known it at FB. The point is, XF does not have ownership of "Likes". I am not defending anyone, just stating the obvious.

On a side note, I really don't like vb.org's implementation of it. Due to the limitation of the underlying reputation system on which they have based it, "unlike" is missing.

For my two-pence worth, it's a good idea and it's not something that is exclusively owned by xF, although XF's implementation has shown how well it can work on a forum.

For all of it's flaws, facebook has been great at making strides with online conversation and collaboration - it's telling that this is kind of functionality is showing up in other software as well. What is more telling is how good competing products are at integrating said feature ;)

Don't be surprised if other forum-makers follow suit.

I wonder if any "large camera"s were involved in the creation of this mod, if so, a lawsuit needs to be filed! :P

Please stop with the silly posts. It is of no real importance if vBulletin.org uses a "like" system...a system that has been used for quite some time and is in no way credited toward XenForo solely. I understand your point, but its misguided. Why give vBulletin the exposure or talk time? It shouldn't matter one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom