vB4 to xenForo and the feature of xenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaleal

Hello,

I am thinking from a long time ago about converting my big forum from vB4 to xenForo. I was waiting the lawsuit to end in January and it didn't end :(
To be honest, vB4 suits my needs, and the only reason why I am interested to convert is that vB4 is no longer developed (and of course have many bugs).. In fact, I call it a dead product.
It's not a big deal to convert to another forum software that is also not being developed.
Do anyone know anything about lawsuit status (No links.. just a brief description), will xenForo be further developed?

Thanks

The lawsuit is in the end game.

The original trial date was for January but dates changed, etc.

Now the judge has asked both parties to have a meeting to settle. This could either, result in a settlement if terms can be agreed between both parties or not result in a settlement at all. If the latter, then it is likely it will go to trial.

Settlement discussions are in Feb. Likely date for trial is in March.

To quote one of the Lead Developers: "We aren't fighting for nothing". Yes, the plan is to resume development once the lawsuit is resolved.

It's so sad that it has come to this.

XenForo is a much better product than vB4 and vB5.

Problem is that Xenforo don't have the money that the owners of vBulletin have, so I think it will be hard to win this, but I really hope for the best for XenForo.

It's so sad that it has come to this.

XenForo is a much better product than vB4 and vB5.

Problem is that Xenforo don't have the money that the owners of vBulletin have, so I think it will be hard to win this, but I really hope for the best for XenForo.

Xenforo don't have money but we have :)

I'm sure money is a huge issue, but if it was going to be the end of them then I'd have expected that to happen a long time ago.

One would assume that after this amount of time they won't let a lack of finances finish them off so close to the end.

If one is going to speculate about a settlement, it could only involve paying some sort of royalty to the plaintiff, or a lump sum of some sort. Other than just dropping the case, what else is there to settle aside from forcing XenForo Ltd. to quit, right?

If one is going to speculate about a settlement, it could only involve paying some sort of royalty to the plaintiff, or a lump sum of some sort. Other than just dropping the case, what else is there to settle aside from forcing XenForo Ltd. to quit, right?

There is a great history of the case here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/status-of-lawsuit.39082/
It's just too early to know how things are going to turn out, at least we have a date set for the next stage of the process. So, at the moment it's just a case of Keep Calm and Carry On. My site is looking to finally convert to xenForo in the next month or two, we've had to wait for vaultwiki to release their xF port, which is almost done.

If you have a big forum to convert, I recommend to test it in a "dry run" first. XenForo may not provide all the features you need to run a big forum with it out of the box. Expect to need a lot of money or time/coding-knowledge to fix that.

I'm surprised the 30K so members on this site haven't filed suit against vbulletin / internet brands for wasting everyone's time who is a product user of this site, it's put me completely off using vbulletin as a product. We need to get the xenforo team back to doing what they are good at aka improving a solid product aka xenforo so we can get our sites moving forward even better. Just food for thought

I appreciate the aim of threads like this. The lawsuit casts a huge cloud of uncertainty over XenForo which appears to have been IB's intention in filing it, an intention which is made clear in their original announcement:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/363883-Internet-Brands-claims-against-Xenforo

We trust that software purchasers understand the risks of infringement of copyright law and act accordingly. We have requested that Kier, Mike and Ashley refrain from selling the software while the issues, inclusive of our infringement claims, are heard in the courts. We intend to pursue our rights broadly and vigorously.
We consider Kier and Mike to be talented developers, but ones who potentially fail to grasp the implications of their actions.

They are speaking directly to you, the customer. IB urges caution. You are free to heed their warning if you want. For XenForo's part it has already been stated many times that they intend to fight on. There is no certainty beyond that.

This thread has the current status of the lawsuit:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/status-of-lawsuit.39082/

The settlement conference is in 10 days. If no settlement is reached then the judge may issue summary judgment, or he may let it go to trial. As Chris said, this is the end game. After more than 2 years of waiting the lawsuit is almost over. Patience is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom