1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vanilla-like style?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by darinb, May 2, 2013.

1. darinb

darinb New Member

I have a new forum at my site and I'm using Vanilla. I very much like Vanilla's visual approach--no categories, clean, without displaying all the usual database field stuff. But I haven't been that happy running Vanilla. It just isn't as polished as it should be--I want it to be more like WordPress in terms of being easy to administer and having features thought out for you. I don't want to have to learn PHP or CSS.

So....what about XenForo?

Is there a style that looks something like a Vanilla installation (clean, uncluttered, category-less?)

One key element is that in the thread listing I *must* have a short excerpt from the thread displayed rather than simply displaying the topic field, etc.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. darinb

darinb New Member

Hey Brogan,

Thanks. I'm going through them now. It's not clear though whether a style that has a nice general "look" can be easily modified to look like Vanilla or whether I need to identify (if any) a style that has that look in the demo photos. Hoping that someone has already addressed this question, though I didn't see it via search.

4. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

You're probably not going to find anything like vanilla outside being a minimal style. Also XenForo and most forum software uses categories so you're not likely to find a category-less design easily.
  5. AWS

AWS Well-Known Member

Vanilla uses categories too. They just present them in a different way.
  6. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

If you mean this I'm sure it can be done for xenforo.
  7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Small bump... it's very possible this is something I did a couple weeks ago for fun and just stumbled on this thread figured I'd share heh :)

I never finished it due to client work but XF is easy to work with (y)
  8. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

As always, awesome stuff, Russ.
    Russ likes this.
  9. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

great work russ, keep it up :)