1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vanilla-like style?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by darinb, May 2, 2013.

1. darinb

darinb New Member

Hello,

I have a new forum at my site and I'm using Vanilla. I very much like Vanilla's visual approach--no categories, clean, without displaying all the usual database field stuff. But I haven't been that happy running Vanilla. It just isn't as polished as it should be--I want it to be more like WordPress in terms of being easy to administer and having features thought out for you. I don't want to have to learn PHP or CSS.

So....what about XenForo?

Is there a style that looks something like a Vanilla installation (clean, uncluttered, category-less?)

One key element is that in the thread listing I *must* have a short excerpt from the thread displayed rather than simply displaying the topic field, etc.

--Darin

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. darinb

darinb New Member

Hey Brogan,

Thanks. I'm going through them now. It's not clear though whether a style that has a nice general "look" can be easily modified to look like Vanilla or whether I need to identify (if any) a style that has that look in the demo photos. Hoping that someone has already addressed this question, though I didn't see it via search.

Thanks,

--Darin

4. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

You're probably not going to find anything like vanilla outside being a minimal style. Also XenForo and most forum software uses categories so you're not likely to find a category-less design easily.

5. AWS

AWS Well-Known Member

Vanilla uses categories too. They just present them in a different way.

6. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

If you mean this I'm sure it can be done for xenforo.

7. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Small bump... it's very possible this is something I did a couple weeks ago for fun and just stumbled on this thread figured I'd share heh :)

I never finished it due to client work but XF is easy to work with (y)
    xenilla.png

8. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

As always, awesome stuff, Russ.

Russ likes this.
  9. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

great work russ, keep it up :)