Resource icon

[ValveTime.net] Block Short URLs 1.0

No permission to download

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Yorick submitted a new resource:

[ValveTime.net] Block Short URLs (version 1.0) - Configured to block most URL shortener services from being posted.

This add on was requested here (http://xenforo.com/community/threads/block-url-shortened-links.31370).

When attempting to post a message containing a blocked word (currently configured with around 300 URL shortening services), an error is displayed.

This add on, in theory, could also be used to block other words too.

INSTALL:

Upload contents of the upload folder to your library folder.

Install through Admin CP using provided XML file.

CONFIGURATION:...

Read more about this resource...

An odd thing indeed.... I turned it back on (re-activated this plug-in) and all is working now.

So I have no idea why it wouldn't allow it the 1st time. :confused:
Whoa. That is weird.

Was the error definitely about a short URL or was it some other error? I looked through the list of services and one was called bc.com or something so I thought it was that but if it just started working again I have no idea.

Whoa. That is weird.

Was the error definitely about a short URL or was it some other error? I looked through the list of services and one was called bc.com or something so I thought it was that but if it just started working again I have no idea.
Found out the error (I believe)

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xfr-merge-double-user-post.6264/

This has the following option "Use Timestamp Spacer" (and also "Timestamp Spacer") which adds a self generated internal hover link of the time stamp (within the post). And I assume some how that is being blocked.

Honestly, generating that time-stamp actually uses more resources anyways (in my opinion)... So I simply turned off that option as the modification works just fine without it (time stamp is eye candy and I can live without it).

So I just turned off "Use Timestamp Space" and also switched the 2nd "Timestamp Space" option to "Empty String".

So fix not needed and the above in my opinion is a good enough solution for me. :)

Found out the error (I believe)

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xfr-merge-double-user-post.6264/

This has the following option "Use Timestamp Spacer" (and also "Timestamp Spacer") which adds a self generated internal hover link of the time stamp (within the post). And I assume some how that is being blocked.

Honestly, generating that time-stamp actually uses more resources anyways (in my opinion)... So I simply turned off that option as the modification works just fine without it (time stamp is eye candy and I can live without it).

So I just turned off "Use Timestamp Space" and also switched the 2nd "Timestamp Space" option to "Empty String".

So fix not needed and the above in my opinion is a good enough solution for me. :)

Nope, that wasn't it either.

I tried posting this link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0133017605?tag=socialuncens-20&creativeASIN=0133017605

And got the same error about short urls. It seems to be random. Not sure what exactly causes it.

There is something in this paragraph that is causing the system to kick out the "no short urls" error:

Two broadcast commercials, beginning with “Malti-poo” premiering on March 12 and followed by “Dolphin Tattoo” on March 19, feature bright colors and bold imagery evocative of the iconic board game. Both spots combine humor with product messaging and will air during network and cable shows such as Grey’s Anatomy, 30 Rock and The Simpsons, as well as programming on Bravo and ABC Family.

the "Read Me" file is always good thing to read...otherwise it be named "I'm important and it's best to read me, but if you want to just ignore me, that's fine too.txt" file. haha.. :p :ROFLMAO:

I couldn't post this when using this addon:

Master List of tools
Here is a list of web performance testing tools (in alphabetical order). I'll seed it with the list I know of but if there are more that you are aware of please let me know and I can add them to the list.

Online Testing

Free Services
Dotcom-Monitor Instant - Instant full-page tests, IE, Chrome, Firefox, multiple locations, full report
GTmetrix - Performance and Optimization check (YSlow and Page Speed)
KITE (Keynote) - IE 7 from 5 cities across the globe
Load Impact Page Analyzer - Simulated Browser
Page Speed Online - Online Page Speed check
Pingdom full page test - Simulated Browser
Show Slow - Trended YSlow and Pagespeed results
Site-Perf - Simulated browser, multiple locations
WebPagetest - IE 6-9 and Chrome from multiple locations
Yottaa - Performance and optimization trending
Zoompf - Site crawler that checks for optimization
WebSiteOptimization Speed Report - Simulated browser, provides performance and optimization suggestionns

Subscription Services
Catchpoint
Gomez
Keynote
Webmetrics

Desktop Software
dynaTrace Ajax Edition - Free, IE Only, Windows, Javascript profiler
HTTPWatch - Commercial, Free Trial. Windows, all browsers
KITE - Keynote's desktop testing utility. Free, Windows, IE only
Page Speed (Google) - Free, Firefox and Chrome, All Platforms
Page Detailer (IBM) - Free, Windows, All Browsers
Pagetest - Free, IE Only, Windows
Performance Tracker (MySpace) - Free, IE Only, Windows
YSlow (Yahoo) - Free, Firefox and Chrome, All platforms

Where is shortened url their?

There doesn't seem to be one.

It might be worth clearing the default list and just adding your own as and when you need to.

There doesn't seem to be one.

It might be worth clearing the default list and just adding your own as and when you need to.
I'm just using the default set.
I don't know what's the problem.
Looks like this addon doesn't allow many url on a post? :rolleyes:

I don't know what the problem is either.

My suggestion was to remove the default set, and add in only the short URLs that are a problem.

e.g. bit.ly, fb.me, tinyurl.com etc.

Top Bottom