[UW] Smileys Bar [Deleted]

If you have any custom smileys, the best approach is to have them as sprite image instead of separate image for all.
Nope. Putting hundreds of images in a single giant sprite is not a good idea and wouldn't even work for animated smileys.

If I did that (leaving out the animated ones), the sprite would be ~ 1MB, I really wouldn't want a visitor to download a 1 MB file just to see those few smileyes used on a single page.

Sprites are good for a small number of frequently used images, not for a (very) large number of infrequently used images.

Nope. Putting hundreds of images in a single giant sprite is not a good idea and wouldn't even work for animated smileys.

If I did that (leaving out the animated ones), the sprite would be ~ 1MB, I really wouldn't want a visitor to download a 1 MB file just to see those few smileyes used on a single page.
Your case is specific because it contains many custom smileys and many animated. For average user with mostly stock smileys and a handful of custom ones, this is not an issue at all. I have seen this working on several servers flawlessly. I am also using it myself on my servers and I am happy with it. And even Xenforo doesn't use lazyload for attachments so we can not even mark this as a flaw.
Dividing all smileys into multiple sprite images would have a huge impact on improving the performance in your case. And normally I would leave it at that because every work on the code means extra expenses. But because it is you and you do like this add-on, I want to go the extra mile and will consider that lazy load technique to find a solution even for these kind of specific situations. (y);)👌

When activating the addon I get this problem:

Capture.PNG

When the smiley bar is closed, it does look normal:

Capture2.webp

I was expecting my custom smilies to show up first instead of the stock emoji. My forum primarily uses the custom emojis that we have. Is there any way to change this or include the custom emojis first? I know they show up in the bar but we have a lot of emojis and it would be more comfortable to navigate within the bigger box / tab groups.

....Is there any way to change this or include the custom emojis first? I know they show up in the bar but we have a lot of emojis and it would be more comfortable to navigate within the bigger box / tab groups.
Yes, there will be very soon.
There is already work on a code for the next version. Should be ready by Monday. Custom categories will be shown in the smileys menu.

I've realized that despite the fact that XF has a huge, I mean huge number of smileys (around 1150), many people are still using several hundreds of custom smileys and categories.

So custom categories will appear in the smileys menu between the stock categories but not in the Smileys Bar. There will be however an option to add any smiley from any custom category to the Smileys Bar. The purpose of the Smileys Bar is to show only some of the most common smileys. The rest should got to the smileys menu. By default in the Smileys Bar will include whatever smileys are in the category "Uncategorized smilies" and Recently used.

Last edited:
Yes, there will be very soon.
There is already work on a code for the next version. Should be ready by Monday. Custom categories will be shown in the smileys menu.

I've realized that despite the fact that XF has a huge, I mean huge number of smileys (around 1150), many people are still using several hundreds of custom smileys and categories.

So custom categories will appear in the smileys menu between the stock categories but not in the Smileys Bar. There will be however an option to add any smiley from any custom category to the Smileys Bar. The purpose of the Smileys Bar is to show only some of the most common smileys. The rest should got to the smileys menu. By default in the Smileys Bar will be whatever smileys are in the category "Uncategorized smilies" and Recently used.
That sounds perfect! Looking forward to this update :D

@xffutureuser

I just purchased and installed this, and I can't seem to get the categories feature to work as it does on your test site. I click the down arrow and I only see the search box.

xffutureuser updated [UW] Smileys Bar with a new update entry:

Custom categories moved to smileys menu. Force Open the Smileys Bar

• All custom categories now appear in the smileys menu between the stock categories but not in the Smileys Bar.
1562877041841-png.101

There is however an option to add any smiley from any custom category to the Smileys Bar:

1562877372850-png.102

By default, in the Smileys Bar, will be included whatever smileys are in the category "Uncategorised smilies" and Recently used.

Also...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Does the user have to "turn on" smilies bar or can it be forced from the admin side to always remain, much like it is on Instagram, etc. (no option to turn it off by the user)?

Thanks
There you go:
  • Force Open the Smileys Bar
In Setup -> Options -> Smileys Bar you can now set the option that will keep the Smileys Bar open for the users all the time by default. So if someone turns off the Smileys Bar, after a page refresh the bar will be back.

1562878222747-png.104

Reactions: frm
I was expecting my custom smilies to show up first instead of the stock emoji. My forum primarily uses the custom emojis that we have. Is there any way to change this or include the custom emojis first? I know they show up in the bar but we have a lot of emojis and it would be more comfortable to navigate within the bigger box / tab groups.

There you go:
  • All custom categories now appear in the smileys menu between the stock categories but not in the Smileys Bar.
1562877041841-png.101

This will also improve Kirby's performance issues. The purpose of the Smileys Bar is to show only some of the most common smileys. The rest should go to the smileys menu. And the most common in the Smileys Bar, can easily be moved to sprite image which will further improve the performance situation.

There is however an option to add any smiley from any custom category to the Smileys Bar:

1562877372850-png.102

By default, in the Smileys Bar, will be included whatever smileys are in the category "Uncategorised smilies" and Recently used.

- Also during the import process you have the option to check to show a smiley in the Smileys Bar.

1562878563404-png.105

- You can control the order of the smileys in the Smileys Bar via the display order number.

1562883230451.png

You can see it in use on developer's website here: https://ultraweb.co/threads/new-testing-thread.17/post-192

Last edited:
Top Bottom