Using Redirection in a Link

Steve Freides

I would like to be able to post something that redirects as part of a forum message or forum PM. Is this possible?

What we're trying to do is create anchors in our FAQ, then individual links that automatically redirect to the anchor position in the FAQ. We'd then like to post the links for our members to use.

Other suggestions about how to do this are also welcomed.

Thanks.

-S-

I'm not totally following what you're trying to do. You can make a link in a post to a URL with a #anchor part in it and clicking it would take you to that anchor.

If you're hoping to make anchors within a post though, that's not something we support. It could potentially be doable via a custom BB code though.

You can make a link in a post to a URL with a #anchor part in it and clicking it would take you to that anchor.

We want people to be able to accomplish just that but without having to figure out the anchor - if you just know you want to give someone a link to a particular FAQ, you'd have to know the convention for naming the anchors - I usually end up looking at the source code to try to figure that out. We're just looking for a more user-friendly way to give a link to a specific spot in our FAQ.

Since I posted, we've decided to try putting links into the FAQ that people can put in their cut-and-paste buffer, much the way you can click on the post number in a forum thread to get a URL specific to that post.

The discussion was initiated by a forum member who wants to point a poster to a spot in the FAQ when the answer is already there - saves reinventing the proverbial wheel, and also gets more people looking at FAQ which may have other good information for them as well.

-S-

Since I posted, we've decided to try putting links into the FAQ that people can put in their cut-and-paste buffer, much the way you can click on the post number in a forum thread to get a URL specific to that post.
If I'm understanding what you mean, this is sort of one of the common approaches to the problem.

As example, look here: https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/introduction.html#audience You'll see the section symbol (§) next to each header. Clicking that will change your URL to have the anchor in it so you can copy it (or you can right-click-copy it).

Top Bottom