XF 1.5 Using MailGun with XenForo

XenBurger

I was forced to migrate to MailGun because my hosting provider Rackspace thinks my forum emails are "spam" and keeps disabling my email account. Even tho I am paying them over $900 /mo for a server, their MailGun service offers no phone support.

I've been unable to get mail to send from the forums (for registrations, etc)

Is an Addon like this necessary for it to work? https://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-mails.2313/

All the necessary fields are already in the XenForo admin that MailGun claims you need (SMTP host, Port, Username, Password, SSL / None, etc)

I have registered, set up, and verified my domain name, entered all necessary DNS MX TXT etc records, verified that they've propogated, ............... literally everything.

Trying to figure out why MailGun doesnt work and not looking forward to wasting a week going back and forth with them on their ticket system either...

Last edited:
If they offer a SMTP interface, no add-on is necessary. Provided you haven't explicitly disabled mail in your config.php file (would have to be done through a manual file edit) or some add-on interfering, then if there are no error logs in the control panel related to mail, it would indicate that the mail has been handed off the the SMTP server successfully. At that point, delivery would be down to the SMTP server, so you may ultimately need to work with MailGun.

They offer SMTP. I figured it out.

For some reason their initial logon information simply was not working. They provide you with postmaster@yourdomain.com (which was not the email I wanted to use) and a password that was like ajajaisjwijawfjiawifjjawfij9ajfj3i4ejf3efja9d9ajefj9aj3fe9aj943jfjfjfjff (literally)

I made sure to copy and paste it 100 times properly with no extra spaces or characters and nothing would work.

So I set up inquiries@mydomain.com and a password of "cars1" and voila. It worked. User error maybe ... too lazy to verify.

They offer SMTP. I figured it out.

For some reason their initial logon information simply was not working. They provide you with postmaster@yourdomain.com (which was not the email I wanted to use) and a password that was like ajajaisjwijawfjiawifjjawfij9ajfj3i4ejf3efja9d9ajefj9aj3fe9aj943jfjfjfjff (literally)

I made sure to copy and paste it 100 times properly with no extra spaces or characters and nothing would work.

So I set up inquiries@mydomain.com and a password of "cars1" and voila. It worked. User error maybe ... too lazy to verify.

Your post saved me a major headache! I had the same issue. Copied and pasted the default password a bunch of times and nothing. Made new credentials and it worked instantly. :)

Top Bottom