Fixed Using 2 Emoji's in a Row on Firefox

Wondering about your argument... is it really a browser issue? When using the same argument you do, then why for example doesn't phpBB, SMF and IPB suffer the same issue with FF? Oke IPB puts smilies piece by piece, but still same row, as do the others (didn't test other forum software).
That's ironic too.
No irony to it... when you have multiple BROWSERS that do not have the issue, but one SPECIFIC browser that does, it points to a BROWSER issue. Expecting others to fix a BROWSER issue is kind of moronic IMHO. Deal with where the actual issue lies.

when you have multiple BROWSERS that do not have the issue, but one SPECIFIC browser that does, it points to a BROWSER issue.
I can say the same. When you have multiple FORUMS and one SPECIFIC forum has the issue, it points to a FORUM issue. Those are not valid arguments.

There is no need to write in caps, I did now too because you did, just to make clear that you don't have a valid argument as I can put up the same against it.

If it's prooven that it's a browser issue, fine by me. I don't mind, but I like good argumentation, not some "it's only this so it must be that" because that won't always work in ICT that way, as you can see.

If Xenforo is not intending to fix it because it's a browser bug (if it is indeed), they should state so in this thread and close the thread, because then it's not Xenforo's issue, right?

I can say the same. When you have multiple FORUMS and one SPECIFIC forum has the issue, it points to a FORUM issue. Those are not valid arguments.

Sorry to disagree, especially when based upon over a decade of watching browsers and their SPECIFIC issues with scripts that have to be "worked around". It remained (and still is) a BROWSER issue and not a script issue.

When you have Safari, Chrome and many others NOT having an issue and the issue showing up in a SPECIFIC browser, it's rather hard to claim a "script" issue and not a browser issue. The BROWSER is responsible for interpreting the code correctly as long as it meets standards. One would find it HIGHLY unusual that one ONE specific browser is having issues, and EVERY other major browser has been coded so sloppily that they miss it.
Occam's Razor enters the picture here.
If there IS code that is incorrect, the XF is LONG overdue in acknowledging it and the fix being implemented

As for closing the thread.. that is an issue that Xenforo has been being hit on recently.... but I agree, if it is a known browser issue, it should be changed to be reflected as such and changed as such, but only folks like @Chris D or @Kier can do so.

Last edited:
You'll need to wait for XF to update the prefix, [Confirmed] prefixes eventually get updated and Browser Issue and Fixed are both possibilities since it is sill confirmed.

You'll need to wait for XF to update the prefix, [Confirmed] tags eventually get updated and Browser Issue and Fixed are both possibilities since it is sill confirmed.
My problem is holding script developers responsible for fixing issues with browsers. They then become expected to 'hack" for poor coding in browsers. Can the script developers fix it? Yep, most likely.. but why not be yelling at where the problem usually originates.... the browser developers. If the output meeds standards, then it's the browsers issue of incorrectly processing it... and when you have every other major browser having no issues, who should one be "yelling" at?

You mean disabling smilies for Firefox so Firefox users can't use them anymore?
I would like to have it as an option because from a personal point of view I find it irritating even though I know how to work around it but secondly I have members are unable/incapable of typing ahead of a smiley insertion and subsequently fail to make the post.

I realize this is not a realistic solution but it's still far better than losing content, or in the long term, valuable community members.

Now, if there is something specific in the XF code that is causing this, then it does need to be fixed.
It appears to be due to incompatibility but I'm not qualified to say who should fix their code.

You could easily argue that it's a Firefox issue because the problem can't be replicated in other browsers. On the other hand Firefox handles smileys just fine in other forum software and all social platforms in general so that appears to put the ball back in Xenforo's court.

To be honest after this length of time it would be helpful just to get some feedback and if it's won't fix then we can look towards other solutions.

You could easily argue that it's a Firefox issue because the problem can't be replicated in other browsers. On the other hand Firefox handles smileys just fine in other forum software and all social platforms in general so that appears to put the ball back in Xenforo's court.
When one can argue that one specific browser has an issue with one specific script but other browsers don't, but other browsers also handle other scripts just fine as does does the problematic also with no outliers - where does the finger realistically point? Are we to believe every other major browser codes so poorly as to "miss" the issue, or are we to believe that one SPECIFIC browser has a coding issue. Once more, I bring to your attention Occam's Razor.
I lean towards (and based upon historical trends) it being a browser based issue.

I lean towards (and based upon historical trends) it being a browser based issue.
Fair enough, but since you're not sure and neither am I, it still can go both ways (see my 1 forum and other forums example, exactly the same).
So I don't mind if people think it's a Firefox issue, but since it's not prooven and only occurs in Xenforo, it can well be otherwise and I just lean more in that direction.

Maybe someone with enough coding knowledge (qualified enough) can put the finger on exactly what is causing this, or maybe why a certain browser is causing this and if this is a valid css/php cause or not and if that makes it a Xen issue or not.

Nothing much more too it.

@zappaDPJ As for a switchable option I can understand your thoughts about it. For users this starts to be very annoying, especially after so long a time, no matter who's cause it is.

you're not sure and neither am I, it still can go both ways (see my 1 forum and other forums example, exactly the same).
History tends to re-enforce a belief pattern...especially when considering that NO other major browser has an issue. I SERIOUSLY doubt that very other browser developer coded their browser so it discounted/missed a specific XenForo coding. I once AGAIN bring you back to the Occam's Razor theory.

History tends to re-enforce a belief pattern...especially when considering that NO other major browser has an issue.
Again, history also shows a pattern of unexpected things in ICT in these kind of situations where the single browser issue does not occur on other applications.
Remember that bbcode is an addon in an editor. I remember more odd things from history where things also almost seemed pointing to only 1 thing, but still was something else. And again, there is no single reason to write in caps. It won't give you any more argument value and it certainly won't change my thoughts of what is possible.

I'm too old for that and seen too much of odd things happening. You can point to that Occam's Razor theory. I'm not native English but then I point to the well known Murphy's Law which has occured enough times in ICT. It tends to, but does not need to be that way.

Next to that... if Andy can fix it that fast and easy, why can't Xenforo?

Anyway, theory is still not a fact, no problem which theory anybody want's to use, it's not proove.

We just both can't proove which one it is (which is neither my intention) so lets leave it at that, we will probably see who's thoughts are correct in the future sometime. History is no guarantee for the future.

Next to that... if Andy can fix it that fast and easy, why can't Xenforo?
Andy makes a ton of remove-ons/add-ons. It's simple to fix a code for an error that another program has. I think you are missing MY point. Why the hell should XF be expected to fix something that EVERY OTHER major browser has no issues with. Why don't you expect it to be fixed by the BROWSER developers? Exactly how many tickets/complaints have you entered at the Mozilla site?
If you want to continue to believe it is an XF issue that NO OTHER MAJOR browser has shown an issue with, feel free to. I'll continue to play the odds that it's specific to that browser, since no other major browser seems to have a damn problem with it, and I seriously doubt they have "****ty" developers. Apparently you have NO knowledge of Occam's Razor philosophy.

Fixed in XF2.3

👾
🤡👀

I heard it would be 2.3.1.23.19.88.75 before it was fixed. 🍿
Both wrong, Won't get fixed until XF version 5 lol
How many times have you contacted the FireFox developers to fix an apparent issue in THEIR browser. Would it not cause you to scratch your head and make you wonder why on OTHER browsers did not have that issue? I know if I had a vehicle that started with other 12v batteries but not one from a specific vendor I would not be contacting the vehicle manufacturer about the issue, but the battery manufacturer.
Hey I agree with you, its a browser issue. I was just stating the Chris knows its a firefox issue.

and I seriously doubt they have "****ty" developers. Apparently you have NO knowledge of Occam's Razor philosophy.
I never said it were ***ty devs. It can just be some code they are not looking at or missed.
I have read about Occam's Razor philosopy a bit. But it seems that either you are not as many years around as me, or didn't have experienced enough Murphy to understand that you just can't be sure when the opposite occurs too (all forums except Xen).
There is just no way to say what is causing it.

I already agreed that it tends too look like a browser, but when testing other forums seems the other way around. You totally want to deny that point. And that is very odd.

As for your statement about ***tty devs... well... I never said it, but they are human and can make mistakes, as prooved by the many Chrome updates lately. I rest my case there.

when the problem does not lay with XF. :rolleyes:
Which you neither I can proove and it can also very well be XF.

To put this in perspective, I get as many visits from people using the default Samsung Browser as I do from folks using Firefox per a quick check of the past month in Google Analytics. In fact, 88% of my traffic is either Chrome or Safari, with Firefox being one of half a dozen or so browsers dividing up the remaining 12%. I think Edge is the largest in that group. So in the broader scheme of things, a Firefox specific bug, whether it is in XF or FF, isn't really something I am going to fuss about too much. I've got bigger fish to fry.

Given that all the other major browsers are derived from Chrome, it isn’t entirely fair to go “well it doesn’t break in the other major browsers”. From my experience, it’s probably Chrome/WebKit not following the HTML spec exactly and Firefox following it strictly.

Should it be fixed? Sure, but pointing to “the other major browsers” isn’t the definitive “see?” moment. Remember the IE monoculture when people spent ~15 years writing for IE and 'all the rest' and the amount of drama and holding back with IE... same thing only with Chrome.

Chris also stated he acknowledged it only happened in Firefox, but did not say it was a Firefox bug, and confirmed this as being a bug. That might be explained both ways.

I know too little (read: nothing) about webkit and how browsers are created, but what @Arantor says at least prooves that it can be caused by either party.

Anyway, it would be very nice if somebody from Xenforo could reply after a year to this thread and maybe (if it's indeed a Xen bug) give us an ETA for the fix, or acknowledge it's purely a Firefox bug (and if possible tell us some proove so we can put up a bug report there) and close thread accordingly.

That might be usefull to everybody.

To be clear the issue reported here is not the same problem that I originally reported but it was deemed to have the same root cause.

My concern is that it is not possible to type text after a smiley because your cursor is always placed to the left.

Top Bottom