users overloading server

Haaaaa.... Now that was funny!
I meant it as a kind of somber comment...like, I feel really bad for him.
It always pisses me off when I see a GoDaddy advert on TV... if a hosting provider can afford TV adverts, what're they doing? Unfortunately, most of the people that the avail themselves of their services don't understand anything different and don't understand that they can get much better hosting for a much lower price
because of this basically.

FWIW the webmaster for our forum before me was a guru with code, but the hosting side of it was something where knowledge was somewhat lacking. Someone knew someone and supposedly got a deal for the dedicated windows server hosted by GoDaddy, but I have a pretty solid feeling that there might have been a better way to do it. I can't see that a self-managed dedicated windows server purchased in 2012 should have cost $150+/mo but what do I know. It was necessary to run the forum software at the time supposedly (which was DNN / DotNetNuke)

go daddy ultimate plan can have max 25 concurrent user and around 150 db connections per sec.

i talked with lots of hosting company all are somewhere around 25 to 35 user per sec including A2hosting on their turbo plan.

finally decided to get vps

and currently i have around 100 users per sec and do not have any issue, vps can support more than 1k users per sec provided ram and other resources are free to utilize.

Better scold them and ask for money back

If you are not happy with their services you should take moneyback

Godaddy is an idiot daddy who is older in age thats why cant move faster.

Better scold them and ask for money back

If you are not happy with their services you should take moneyback

GoDaddy does not tend to give any money back. In this case, the only argument would be "this isn't as good a deal as I thought it was" and their response would be "We thank you for using GoDaddy for your awesome web needs! We love to help people make a statement on the web. We're really sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your service, but the details of your service plan are clearly stated, even when we don't clearly state them clearly. Hey, how about you blog about that?! You can use our super sweet blog addon through our Wordpress package, which is equally overpriced and comparatively slow, on top of having a total lack of support! But, there's good news! You can purchase a full phone support package for the ultra low price of $150 per month! Hey, you gotta spend money to make money! Pull out that fat cat wallet and let's get your business booming!"

Or something like that.

Really feel sad about it.

But i did not understood why you took godaddy.

You are well known member.

First thing almost a month bach which i did,
I check the almost all threads about hosting.

Got understood the companies.

I saw some Brogan post too, which only said xenforo works on godaddy share plan or any other shared hosting but choice is our.

Try to call them and tell that do refund - for hosting atleast

Else a lesson in always good to learn either by self miatakes or from mistakes of other.

There are a few questions that might help get to the cause of the issue :

What exactly is the script doing ?
Have you applied any optimizations ( can you with GoDaddy ? )

I have some users that are either running scripts or else just clicking like crazy until they cause this error: err_empty_response which temporarily shuts them down.
Look at opcache, if in use. Based on what you're saying about your hosting, you're on centos 6 which if running opcache, has reported this being an issue in that sys setup. Googled. Turn it off, reload httpd and see if that stops it. Your error log should help you solve the issue.

buy a cheap unmanaged vps.
I would advise most humans not to do that unless they are very familiar with web server security. If you are not very familiar with web server security and move to an unmanaged or "raw" VPS, you are potentially opening your site up to compromise and exploit and opening yourself up to more headaches and misery than anyone should have to endure. Unless you (really) know what you are doing, always go with a managed server.
lots of hosting company all are somewhere around 25 to 35 user per sec
Concurrent connections are not the same thing as visitors. It may seem like splitting hairs, but it's an important distinction. Oftentimes people will have resource problems and assume they are due to a concurrent connections limit when they are not. You can have 500 visitors and never hit 25 concurrent connections (since that connection is severed as soon as the script finishes running or the page loads). Of course on the other hand you can have 50 click-happy users that max out your concurrent connection limits too, but it's unusual.

Having said that, most hosts will increase your concurrent connection limit if you ask them to. I don't know about GoDaddy, but then I don't really consider them a host. In general though, I would certainly agree with everyone who is saying a shared hosting account isn't an ideal place to run something like Xenforo.

Unless you (really) know what you are doing, always go with a managed server.
Super disagree with this. Between the Linode and Digital Ocean server security documents available for all to read and implement, server security is not that hard.

I would say that if you don't understand / want to learn servers, then go managed. But if you want to give it a go... fire one up with a test site, get everything working, run it through some hardened security testers, run it through some load testers, and viola... you should be good to go. At most, you're back to asking more questions on a tech site about specifics.

A month or two of tinkering, if tech inclined especially, you will have a secure cheap VPS and no longer dependent upon managed expensive hosting solutions. Over the years, you just get better and learn more about web servers specifically.

A month or two of tinkering, if tech inclined especially, you will have a secure cheap VPS and no longer dependent upon managed expensive hosting solutions.
Well that's the point, isn't it. I don't know what "a month or two" of your time is worth, but mine is worth way more than I'll pay for website hosting during my lifetime. Life is short, man. You can always get more money, but you can't buy more time.

And be honest - that "month or two" almost immediately becomes a lot more than that, because every six months you'll have to learn something new. Server security is not a do-it-once-and-you're-good-forever kind of thing. Seems to me that unless you want to be able to list "web server management" as a hobby in your online dating profile, it's not time well spent.

Telling the average person (that's who I'm talking about here) that all they have to do is RTFM, and viloa! they'll have a secure server - I just think that's doing them a tremendous disservice and unnecessarily putting them in the path of disaster.

Again, talking about the average person. Someone who isn't interested in devoting part of their life to making sure their web server is running properly.

Which is pretty much everybody.

But for those of you who like doing it, hey, more power to you. I completely understand the rush you can get when you conquer some piece of technology. When you're giving advice to regular people though, just remember that not everyone is functioning on your level. That's all I'm saying.

Well... I was being generous with time based on running an optimal custom learnt setup, using NGINX.

If you want to run your own cPanel setup, then an hour, and you're done. Enable PHP-FPM for each site, viola. No more managed cPanel costs. No more noisy neighbours using KVM or equal virtual systems. One line of code into your terminal and cPanel will auto install for you. The majority of security is default set. A few minor tweaks to tighten cPanel security, then you're on an auto update regime from cPanel themselves -- no security issues, no hard learning, no managed costs. If something goes wrong with the system, a ticket to cPanel and they will fix it for you as part of your license. Managed hosting without the managed costs using cPanel or Plesk.

A cPanel VPS license is $20 month to month or $200 per annum. Add that onto a $10 a month Linode / Droplet you now have a secure server setup that will run 50 to 100 online per second, depending on add-ons. Plesk is about half cPanels pricing, last time I looked.

There is no reason to pay for managed hosting if using a control panel, which most will nowadays.

There is CentminMod for those who want a free / cheaper option with more flexibility by using a single line install system via command line with optioned panel, auto update security issues and such too.

There is just no need for even a novice to use managed hosting any longer for larger scale sites, or where you want total server control and known load.

Sure... if all you need is shared hosting, then yes, managed hosting is the best option. Once your site gets to VPS level, nobody is better off on managed hosting for the long term... not with the offering available now. Again... cPanel license includes management if anything goes wrong, so why pay a managed provider for what cPanel will do as part of the license? Cheaper than a retailer when you add total VPS specs and control?

A couple of months applies only to those who want to take on the learning of a minimal install for optimal server efficiency. If you're happy with a control panel type setup, usually one line and all the hard work is done, along with the future updating of software and security.

I started with GoDaddy when I migrated my forum from vB to XF almost three years ago now. They worked but started having uptime problems. So I migrated to InMotion Hosting only to find that the only thing that works there is their sales department. Now I am hosting on FastComet and all of my users say they love it. Users are spread all over the continental US to Australia. FastComet has responsive support that will work to find the answer and they stay current with software updates/ patches.

Reactions: rdn
I started with GoDaddy when I migrated my forum from vB to XF almost three years ago now. They worked but started having uptime problems. So I migrated to InMotion Hosting only to find that the only thing that works there is their sales department. Now I am hosting on FastComet and all of my users say they love it. Users are spread all over the continental US to Australia. FastComet has responsive support that will work to find the answer and they stay current with software updates/ patches.
I use inmotion hosting, and havent found any issues really. Can you give an example of some issues? The only time my site went down was from using Arrowchat but i was told it is because i am on a shared server and needed to get on a better server.

I use inmotion hosting, and havent found any issues really.
I think all hosts go through periods plagued with issues at some point. Chat doesn't usually play well on shared hosting when you start getting a few chatting away. I don't think it makes any company bad... just going through that period they all do. Transitioning...

I use inmotion hosting, and havent found any issues really. Can you give an example of some issues? The only time my site went down was from using Arrowchat but i was told it is because i am on a shared server and needed to get on a better server.

I had repeated situations where the XF server log showed no errors but the SQL would go offline due to excessive connections. InMotion maxes shared servers at 20 concurrent SQL connections. One of the members on my forum does SQL database work for a living and he looked at what was going on. InMotion was holding the connections open longer than they were actively in use so my average 8-12 users were looking more like 15-25 users to the SQL connections.

I tried multiple times to work with InMotion to get something done about the concurrent connections issue and finally had enough when they had a DNS issue that caused my website to be un-resolvable for a day. Support swore up and down that I did something to the DNS settings that messed it up but I did not. I work in IT for a living managing servers and networks; I know better.

I forget the best one - InMotion support talked me into upgrading from shared to VPS hosting with them. We went over the expected move time, they confirmed that they would give me a heads up so I can put the live forum in maintenance mode for the move, and it was all set. Later that evening (almost 24 hours before the scheduled move) InMotion support went ahead and moved my forum while it was live. It was a mess - database errors, page loads failing, a lot of the embedded image links were broken because they were still transferring, and much more. That was it for me. The InMotion support obviously did not understand what kind of support a live forum needed and why you do not just copy and paste a live database with people actively making queries and changes to it.

I was with InMotion for almost 1.5 years and had enough down time that it started costing me forum traffic. After I made the move to Fast Comet all of my users commented that the forum loads faster, uploads attachments quicker, and I regained my lost traffic. The few international users I have all commented that the forum runs great for them as well.

That is just my experience; YMMV.

Oh yeah - I hated the InMotion hosting so much that I walked away from a prepaid 3 years of hosting. They refused to refund my unused hosting time because I could not provide proof of excessive hosting issues. I told them if they needed the money that bad - keep it.

I had repeated situations where the XF server log showed no errors but the SQL would go offline due to excessive connections. InMotion maxes shared servers at 20 concurrent SQL connections. One of the members on my forum does SQL database work for a living and he looked at what was going on. InMotion was holding the connections open longer than they were actively in use so my average 8-12 users were looking more like 15-25 users to the SQL connections.

I tried multiple times to work with InMotion to get something done about the concurrent connections issue and finally had enough when they had a DNS issue that caused my website to be un-resolvable for a day. Support swore up and down that I did something to the DNS settings that messed it up but I did not. I work in IT for a living managing servers and networks; I know better.

I forget the best one - InMotion support talked me into upgrading from shared to VPS hosting with them. We went over the expected move time, they confirmed that they would give me a heads up so I can put the live forum in maintenance mode for the move, and it was all set. Later that evening (almost 24 hours before the scheduled move) InMotion support went ahead and moved my forum while it was live. It was a mess - database errors, page loads failing, a lot of the embedded image links were broken because they were still transferring, and much more. That was it for me. The InMotion support obviously did not understand what kind of support a live forum needed and why you do not just copy and paste a live database with people actively making queries and changes to it.

I was with InMotion for almost 1.5 years and had enough down time that it started costing me forum traffic. After I made the move to Fast Comet all of my users commented that the forum loads faster, uploads attachments quicker, and I regained my lost traffic. The few international users I have all commented that the forum runs great for them as well.

That is just my experience; YMMV.

Oh yeah - I hated the InMotion hosting so much that I walked away from a prepaid 3 years of hosting. They refused to refund my unused hosting time because I could not provide proof of excessive hosting issues. I told them if they needed the money that bad - keep it.
Wow thank you for this information!

Top Bottom