1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Users are unable to register

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by iZeroLogic, Jan 28, 2015.

1. iZeroLogic

iZeroLogic Member

I've been receiving messages from my staff that their are users having problem with registering to our forums.

I've used a dummy account to see the problem appear in our Server Error Logs and found this.

Code:
    Error Info
    Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes - library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:214
    Generated By: Unknown Account, 20 minutes ago
    Stack Trace

#0 /var/www/html/library/Zend/Db/Statement.php(297): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute(Array)
    #1 /var/www/html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(479): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
    #2 /var/www/html/library/XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php(164): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('?????INSERT INT...', Array)
    #3 /var/www/html/library/XenForo/Model/SpamPrevention.php(174): XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->set('dnsBlCache', Array)
    #4 /var/www/html/library/XenForo/Model/SpamPrevention.php(92): XenForo_Model_SpamPrevention->_checkDnsBlResult(Array, Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http))
    #5 /var/www/html/library/XenForo/Model/SpamPrevention.php(79): XenForo_Model_SpamPrevention->_allowRegistration(Array, Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http))
    #6 /var/www/html/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Register.php(1406): XenForo_Model_SpamPrevention->allowRegistration(Array, Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http))
    #7 /var/www/html/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Register.php(401): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Register->_runSpamCheck(Object(LiveUpdate_DataWriter_User), Array)
    #8 /var/www/html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
    #9 /var/www/html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
    #10 /var/www/html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
    #11 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
      ["url"] => string(52) "http://www.thearchon.net/index.php?register/register"
      ["_GET"] => array(1) {
        ["register/register"] => string(0) ""
      }
      ["_POST"] => array(14) {
        ["username"] => string(0) ""
        ["957609157badb6792e952b734b992617"] => string(7) "testing"
        ["2c0290e65c798d5d178987fd3cc157d6"] => string(17) "jaytelat@live.com"
        ["password"] => string(8) "********"
        ["422573c336cfe2984ffb29c262442ac7"] => string(4) "male"
        ["dob_month"] => string(1) "6"
        ["dob_day"] => string(1) "2"
        ["dob_year"] => string(4) "1992"
        ["b409f87a7bce15d663db4adbe35b2861"] => string(19) "America/Los_Angeles"
        ["captcha_question_answer"] => string(16) "TheCampingRusher"
        ["captcha_question_hash"] => string(40) "b9e2401427cd561e431feae4c105c6cb85e138fd"
        ["agree"] => string(1) "1"
        ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
        ["reg_key"] => string(32) "12c1d2cbe8eaea9e2e7f458531e268d0"
      }
    }

I do not know if this is related to an add-on I've installed, or completely something else.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That's an unusual error to be triggered when registering.

What is max_allowed_packet set to in my.cnf?

Does it occur with add-ons disabled?

3. iZeroLogic

iZeroLogic Member

Where would I find my.cnf?

And yes this error still occurred when they are disabled.

4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It seems like you must have had a whole ton of registrations or something unexpected was stored in the DNSBL cache (which could be from an add-on I suppose).

It should have cleared itself up in an hour, but you should be able to resolve it by running this query:
    Code:
    DELETE FROM xf_data_registry WHERE data_key = 'dnsBlCache';

5. iZeroLogic

iZeroLogic Member

Alright thank you.

Also if I were to clear inactive accounts, would that also help solve the situation as well?

6. Mike

No, it's not related to the number of users in the system.

7. iZeroLogic

iZeroLogic Member

Alright thanks again

8. iZeroLogic

iZeroLogic Member

Oh question I'm a bit lost of where to run the query.

9. Brogan

phpMyAdmin

10. iZeroLogic

iZeroLogic Member

Alright thank you again

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  11. iZeroLogic

iZeroLogic Member

Apparently I'm having trouble installing phpMyAdmin onto my dedi server. I carefully followed the instructions.

12. Brogan

I assumed you already had it installed but if not you can run the query via SSH.

13. iZeroLogic

iZeroLogic Member

Oh, sadly not I previously didn't had access to the dedi server, and everything else were already uploaded before I had access.
    Mainly use FileZilla.

Anyways, how would one run the query through SSH, I'm still a novice with this.

14. Mike

You would need to connect to MySQL via the command line client: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/mysql.html

Code:
    mysql -uUSER -p DBNAME
    Change the user and DB name to fit with XF. Then you can run that query.

That said, it really should have cleared up now unless there is/was some other sort of issue on your server.