XF 2.2 Users and admin not receiving email notifications

MBJ86

Despite the settings being correct in the profile settings, and having not changed anything before this problem started, I am now not receiving any email notifications of anything (messages, replies, watched forums, mentions, etc). I am the admin of my forum.

I tried unchecking all notification options, saving, then re-checking them all and saving. I cleared the browser cache and cookies. I logged out and in. What am I missing here?

Didn't you recently do a server move?
Did the issue start after that?

Are there any entries in the XF ACP error log?

Ask your host to check the mail server log to confirm emails are being sent by XF.

Yes! We did recently move to a new VPS, and the error for me did start after that, but looking at the XP ACP log, it looks like it's been going on for a while:

Server error log
  • Laminas\Mail\Protocol\Exception\RuntimeException: Bounce connection error: last request failed
  • src/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Protocol/Pop3.php:167
  • Generated by: Unknown account
  • Feb 21, 2023 at 9:54 AM

Stack trace​

#0 src/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Protocol/Pop3.php(105): Laminas\Mail\Protocol\Pop3->readResponse()
#1 src/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Protocol/Pop3.php(50): Laminas\Mail\Protocol\Pop3->connect('mail.mlptp.net', 143, 'tls')
#2 src/XF/Mail/Storage/Pop3.php(26): Laminas\Mail\Protocol\Pop3->__construct('mail.mlptp.net', 143, 'TLS')
#3 src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php(252): XF\Mail\Storage\Pop3::setupFromHandler(Array)
#4 src/XF/SubContainer/Bounce.php(15): XF\EmailBounce\Processor::getDefaultBounceHandlerStorage(Object(XF\Pub\App))
#5 src/XF/Container.php(31): XF\SubContainer\Bounce->XF\SubContainer\{closure}(Object(XF\Container))
#6 src/XF/SubContainer/Bounce.php(43): XF\Container->offsetGet('storage')
#7 src/XF/Job/EmailBounce.php(20): XF\SubContainer\Bounce->storage()
#8 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(260): XF\Job\EmailBounce->run(8)
#9 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(202): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 8)
#10 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(86): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 8)
#11 job.php(43): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#12 {main}

Request state​

array(4) {
["url"] => string(8) "/job.php"
["referrer"] => string(31) "https://www.mlptp.net/index.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

Is your POP receiver locked to a specific IP for that account connection?
It looks like the IP for both your regular domain and the mail. domain are the same.
Did you enable POP services on your new VPS (I'm assuming you use cPanel) and create an account for the bounced/unsubscribe accounts?

Also, have you checked to see if your new IP is listed in any spam lists (I didnt' see it listed when I checked though)?
Have you trouble shot your POP connection to make sure you can connect to that account normally?

I know that your SMTP server is having issues.

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 1.34.15 PM.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom