Implemented @Username tagging syntax in posts with alert notifications

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This suggestion would be a real PITA if someone has a very popular name.

I can see Liz getting a bit ticked off if someone starts a thread where Queen Elizabeth and Elizabeth Taylor are mentioned alot.
I don't think so, lol.

There's a thread about 90's child star Jonathan Brandis and I get over 9,000 notifications.
See? lol

This suggestion would be a real PITA if someone has a very popular name.

I can see Liz getting a bit ticked off if someone starts a thread where Queen Elizabeth and Elizabeth Taylor are mentioned alot.
I don't think so, lol.

See? lol
How many replies would say @queen_elizabeth ?
and... you could turn if off...

one of the cool features of the new twitter is that it now shows the names of your friends as you type in a compose box after pressing @

i am spoiled literally. the concept of responding to some member on the forum using @username is nice. though it would be slightly going overboard. i am in favor of it as a mod or an optional feature.

the thing is that a lot of suggestions that are being made are being shot down because they are not really part of other forums. and we have never used them.

when i joined this forum initially, i was actually pretty happy to be part of it in so early stages so that i can suggest ideas and new concepts that are not really in existing solutions.

if we do not consider them logically and just go with the flow, we are probably going to end up with yet another clone. a much better looking and functional clone. with very few innovations.

i have been posting a lot of ideas. most of them got no response probably because they are not necessarily missing features (compared to alternatives) but because no one probably cared about them because they have never had them in the first place.

this is my thought about the entire thought process. i hope no one takes this post in offense.

one of the cool features of the new twitter is that it now shows the names of your friends as you type in a compose box after pressing @

i am spoiled literally. the concept of responding to some member on the forum using @username is nice. though it would be slightly going overboard. i am in favor of it as a mod or an optional feature.

the thing is that a lot of suggestions that are being made are being shot down because they are not really part of other forums. and we have never used them.

when i joined this forum initially, i was actually pretty happy to be part of it in so early stages so that i can suggest ideas and new concepts that are not really in existing solutions.

if we do not consider them logically and just go with the flow, we are probably going to end up with yet another clone. a much better looking and functional clone. with very few innovations.

i have been posting a lot of ideas. most of them got no response probably because they are not necessarily missing features (compared to alternatives) but because no one probably cared about them because they have never had them in the first place.

this is my thought about the entire thought process. i hope no one takes this post in offense.
Agreed.

I've merged the two threads on this subject which were in different forums.
That way all discussion remains in one place.

The other day I was once again (like zillions of other times) confronted with a situation that I addressed a Mod (asked him a question) inside a discussion in our Staf Zone, without him seeing it. So no reply from him... the discussion halts once again.

That's why I am since years and years in need of something like this:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/task-manager.10479/

How about a way to be able to poke the administrator or any other staff member from within the post to let them now their attention is needed? Just like you already can Report a Post. Just press a link and a popup... pops up... where you can select a person from your Staff that you are addressing in that specific post. Then this staff member will receive an automatic PM or maybe even better (trying to avoid another discussion outlet through PM): an alert... alerting her/him of this post that needs her/his immediate attention.
Next to `Moderation queue:0´ ´Reported Items:6` XF could display `Attention needed:3' or something like that.

This way we don't have go through all the hassle to manually PM a Moderator or put (repeat...) something inside the `To-do Webmaster´ forum in yet another new thread to get somebodies (much needed) attention. We can leave everything, the whole workprocess concentrated, in one single thread/user discussion thread.

(I am not sure about the implementation above, but I definitely need some kind of solution)

If 'poking' is not going to be included as a default feature, then something like this would also be something in the right direction for me and my team.

So I support it.

One of the best features in XF is the ability to quote someone's post and have them alerted about it. I find it useful myself to respond to replies in threads I have forgotten that I posted in.

However it's not always appropriate or possible to quote everyone you want to be alerted about your reply.

What about a link next to reply called 'Notify' or 'Alert' and you can click the posters you want to be informed about your new reply. This would help to engage more users and encourage them to post more often.

Is this in the works and could it be added to the next release? Even an add-on would be good but Id prefer it to be a vanilla functionality

That would have to be an opt in feature for the users being notified, just as it is now for the rest of the alerts for watched threads, PMs, quotes, etc.

Lone Wolf, I've also been looking for a feature like this.

It was called "flagging" on some custom forum software that I saw many years ago, and I haven't seen a similar feature implemented since. It would be really nice that if someone could make a post that they could quickly and easily alert some of their friends or other users to it.

The are issues in username matching and in commas...it's a little feature, imho should be in core. Many many suggestions about this.

I've been thinking about how to do this and I think I've worked out the theory side of it but since Im not a coder or a programmer it would require someone else to actually do it.

The system I'm proposing already exists on XF or at least the mechanism to achieve it already does. I'm talking about the multi-quote system. On any thread you can click 'reply' on as many posts as you like and all those posts get quoted in your reply. Each person you quoted gets an alert.

All we need to do is to create a sibling/parallell sytem with a few commands changed.

For example, if someone could add a link next to reply and call it 'Notify' or 'Alert' and then use the same code that works for multi-quote but this time it doesnt insert the username, post ID and quote into your reply. It just inserts the username and post IDs of all the posts where we have clicked Notify/Alert.

Whilst your composing your reply all the names you've selected will show along the top of the post but when you press reply they can either stay there or become invisible. Depends on what the coder decides.

Is there anyone that could do this? It's way out of my league but Im sure someone with the knowledge would find it straightforward enough.