Implemented @Username tagging syntax in posts with alert notifications

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
As Enigma said because of the ability to have spaces in usernames this would be both very server intensive and complicated for the users to do... The only really easy way to do this would be to limit username's to dis-allow spaces and I don't think that would go down to well.
No. Just copy the facebook feature. It's not server-intensive and it works really really well.

No. Just copy the facebook feature. It's not server-intensive and it works really really well.

Hmmm good point, hadn't thought about that one as soon as you start typing @Cer... it pop's up with the suggestions and then adds the link to the post... as the only part server does is generate the username which is already done on the search etc

AWESOME IDEA!!!

This gets my vote again :D

True, however their servers can take it. Furthermore, I believe the results that show up are pre-cached and are only based on people who are your friends or pages you've liked. Trying to do that for a lot of members would be crazy.

Also to the point (I really feel like stressing this too), it really does encourage the breaking up of the flow of threads because it increases people's likelihood of typing "@username" for their reply rather then quoting. It already happens now, but actively encouraging it that way would be horrible.

@Onimua people always quote when they want to reference someone ;)

I've already seen a few posts here where I've had to scroll back up or a page or two back because someone types something like "@username I agree. Insert some general text replying to a point brought up by the referenced username."

I mean it might be nice to quick-link to a profile, but eh... I would think this to be better suited as a mod.

The reply button is broken right now. however: 1) if you have 500M users yes. If you have 1M that is not a problem. IPB has an api in their documentation that allows to do this. I can find it out if is needed. 2) Than let's give admins an option to disable if it is used in the wrong way. The feature is great however.

The reply button is broken right now. however: 1) if you have 500M users yes. If you have 1M that is not a problem. IPB has an api in their documentation that allows to do this. I can find it out if is needed. 2) Than let's give admins an option to disable if it is used in the wrong way. The feature is great however.

Yeah, I think I know why (if it's what I think you're referring to). I outlined the editor thing here.

IPB loads over the list of all the members as you're typing the @username thing?

When you try to contact someone by private messaging and you insert his name for example, yes.
xF does the same if i'm not wrong.

This is something I'd rip out by the roots if implemented. It's bad enough some users spell as if they're using SMS. Start treating the forums as if it's an extension of Twitter, and I'm getting out the chainsaw.

When you try to contact someone by private messaging and you insert his name for example, yes.
xF does the same if i'm not wrong.

Yes xF does this for both PC's and for the search... the javascript is already there it would just be a different implementation of it... I think it is perfectly do-able why not?

I use it a lot when I respond to people, and don't want to quote them.

That's the thing. You not wanting to quote someone somewhat disrupts the flow of the conversation. I completely agree with Onimua on this one, in that it will discourage quoting of posts, making it painfully difficult to easily follow a discussion thread.

This seems like it's better off as a modification or add-on. It's a special interest feature; not something that will benefit everybody. It won't even benefit those who want it; it's just something fun.

In regards to caching all of the names in a forum, have it only cache the names of those who have posted in a thread thus far. MUCH smaller list. Also, could have it as a small form of a quote, where the URL really goes to the post that you're responding to, or have a small quote symbol that links to the post, then @name links to the person's profile (albeit I don't know if that's really needed since you've got a link to the post).

Example: :)@Nick You Rock! (where the smiley is a quote icon)
So the smiley / quote icon is a link to the post, and the @Nick is a link to his profile.

In regards to caching all of the names in a forum, have it only cache the names of those who have posted in a thread thus far. MUCH smaller list. Also, could have it as a small form of a quote, where the URL really goes to the post that you're responding to, or have a small quote symbol that links to the post, then @name links to the person's profile (albeit I don't know if that's really needed since you've got a link to the post).

Example: :)@Nick You Rock! (where the smiley is a quote icon)
So the smiley / quote icon is a link to the post, and the @Nick is a link to his profile.

What if I've made 3 posts in a thread and somebody is quoting my 2nd post; how will the system know which post is being quoted?

My idea for using @Nick syntax was not to quote people's posts. It was simply an easy way to automatically link to people's profiles and for them to get a notification of the post, since someone had addressed them or mentioned them.

What if I've made 3 posts in a thread and somebody is quoting my 2nd post; how will the system know which post is being quoted?
Same way every other forum does, by hitting the Quote (or would it be Quick Quote) button.

I know it wasn't meant as a quote, but it's somewhat of a compromise in the middle.