Usergroups/Permissions - Is it possible to copy?

DaveL

I want to create a new usergroup that has the same permissions as the current "Registered Member"

Is there a way to create a new usergroup which automatically copies over all the permissions? I know on other platforms you can, but I cant seem to find the setting in Xenforo.

Perhaps you should read this: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/understanding-permissions.5830/page-6#post-323084

There is no need to duplicate permissions between groups, and in fact it is not advised to do so.

Thanks Brogan - Have sadly not read that thread
beer.gif
After reading - I got it now ..

Perhaps you should read this: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/understanding-permissions.5830/page-6#post-323084
There is no need to duplicate permissions between groups, and in fact it is not advised to do so.

Brogan I had assumed this was not yet done because of other issues taking priority.
Duplicating a forum/ node OR a usergroup is extremely useful.
It means creating a similar bundle of conditions then adding or tweaking a bit. A great deal easier than setting up from scratch. I used to use this constantly on VB.

You need to get out the vB mindset.

The permissions system here is completely different and the same practices and techniques do not translate.

The permissions system here is completely different and the same practices and techniques do not translate.

This isn't just about vB. I, too, have been bashing my head over the permissions in XF because they ARE handled differently than other packages. And while I can understand the "whys" of the implementation, I feel the actual implementation could have been done in a manner that doesn't cause so much confusion.

And while it may be a non-issue for those that are starting out from scratch, those of us with existing forums that base access on usergroup access and NEVER secondary access are having a devil of a time ensuring the permissions are set as they should be. In fact, I've never used a system that relies so much on secondary permissions as XF does. And I've worked on quite a few, including systems at the enterprise level.

So telling someone to get out of vB mode doesn't cut it. This is a huge issue that affects a lot of forum owners who have converted from another solution.

You need to get out the vB mindset.

Almost pistols at dawn talk mate!

No it's not that different. To create permissions I create a kind of profile which I do by going down a long list of can/ cannot. "Cannot" is split between never and inherited but that isn't major once you get used to it.
I'm not going to ignore something VB did which was good just because it was VB. This particular feature goes right back to 3.0 at least so probably supervised by Kier and Mike anyway.
I definitely find it tiresome to have to go through every tiny permission individually for every group[ and every forum.

They don't want to be accused of copying something from another package, apparently. Otherwise it wouldn't be as convoluted as it currently is. >.<

They don't want to be accused of copying something from another package, apparently. Otherwise it wouldn't be as convoluted as it currently is. >.<
BTW, there is no need to resort to insults: http://adminextra.com/threads/phpinfo.5575/#post-46532
Biker said:
I'm laying low for a bit. Took 'em to task over their thought process on permissions yesterday. Brogan had the audacity to say we were doing it wrong when a few of us complained about how the permission system didn't allow us to easily maintain existing structures after imports. When some pudknocker says something like that, especially when I've been in the biz longer than he's been alive, I tend to push back.
If you don't want to heed my advice, that's your interrogative, but to insult me due to your own reticence to adapt to the new software says more about you than me.

My advice is accurate - use it or don't. Your choice.

As you've obviously been in the biz longer than this pudknocker has been alive, I'll bow to your superior knowledge and assume you won't need help with anything in the future.

Seriously? You took a post from another forum and then post it here in a vain attempt at trolling? If you have a beef with what I stated, keep it in the location it was posted.

My point still stands. You have countless individuals migrating from other packages, and the permission system as it's currently designed does not lend itself to easily converting to XF. You expect everyone who converts to completely redesign how their site handles usergroup permissions. This is not only asinine, it's plain wrong.

The discussion originated here.
You are the one who took it elsewhere, presumably because you didn't want to insult me here?

As I said, you obviously know best so I'll make a point of not responding to your posts in future.

That's the same approach I take away from the keyboard; I have no time for people who resort to insults.

I mean it is simple math...you have one group for guests..they can't do anything, one group for registered people .. the rest that aren't the moderators or administrators groups are like modifiers for the your average registered user. There really is no need to copy or have the system in place to do it as far as I can tell.

Image example: (and someone correct me if I am wrong)
PERMS.PlusDeleteThread1.webp USER.DeleteThreadGuy.webp

Top Bottom