XF 2.2 User Upgrade Change Methods

eDaddi

My users voted up to up the membership cost and XF has no way to accommodate that. I've been watching/searching here for about a year and I don't see any posts about it.

Has anybody found a work around without requiring the end users to go into their Paypal/Stripe/whatever settings?

If I disable the "Can be Purchased" setting will this cancel the auto renew?
If so we could create another package with the same name and the new price or term. This would hide the old one, allow existing upgrades to expire, have new upgrades be at the new price and make it easy for expired upgrades to renew with a few clicks.

If you found this because you need to adjust user upgrades, please consider upvoting these two suggestions:
Ability to Cancel Recurring Upgrades & Allow Price Change Subscriptions

Since posting I ran a test with $1 daily memberships via PayPal and Stripe.
I let them auto renew one day,
the next day disabled the "Can be Purchased" setting,
the following day they still renewed.

So if I go through and change all my memberships, or even disable the upgrades .... nothing will be actually be done and the members still get billed their original rate. That seems pretty silly.

Am I missing something?

I would think if 'Can be purchased' was disabled it shouldn't be allowed to renew and that package just expires at the appropriate time.

Last edited:
Playing with this even more ...

If I turn off or delete all upgrades, it kills the 'Account Upgrades' link in the user's control panel. So if the user had an active upgrade, they have no way of getting back to it to click the cancel button.

FWIW I don't think the last one is a bug; when you delete ALL upgrades, don't you inherently end them / cancel them?

For this use case (but yearly, not daily) I did a "grandfather" thing where I disabled (vs deleted) the old pricing, and created new, enabled upgrades with the new pricing. Members using the old pricing enjoy the original pricing forever, so long as they continue to auto-renew.

If you really think your membership will accept the rise in costs, it's probably best to have them go through the motion of clicking through and upgrading. That way, you (and they) have an adequate record of it. You could do the "grandfather" thing but ask your more generous membership folks to cancel the old and sign up for the new.

FWIW I don't think the last one is a bug; when you delete ALL upgrades, don't you inherently end them / cancel them?
Nope. XF does not communicate that to the payment gateway, they just keep renewing until the end user goes into PayPal, Stripe, whatever to cancel the auto renew.

Say you completely close down a py portion of your forums....those will still renew then you have to manage refunds.

For this use case (but yearly, not daily) I did a "grandfather" thing where I disabled (vs deleted) the old pricing, and created new, enabled upgrades with the new pricing. Members using the old pricing enjoy the original pricing forever, so long as they continue to auto-renew.
Thats what I was forced to do as well. The members voted to raise the membership fee, but if I can't force it they just keep renewing as the old rate.

Hello, I have a question about this topic, that is, XF does not automatically cancel the recurring updates of Paypal and other means of payment?

Is this a limitation of the API?

If the user cancels via PayPal, the XF upgrade will end and their account will return to default state within XF. But as @eDaddi noted, if you delete an upgrade from XF via your admin CP, that WILL NOT serve to cancel member subscriptions as they exist within PayPal. Users will still pay per the PayPal subscription schedule. (I have never tested this explicitly but that does seem to be the case)

If the user cancels via PayPal, the XF upgrade will end and their account will return to default state within XF. But as @eDaddi noted, if you delete an upgrade from XF via your admin CP, that WILL NOT serve to cancel member subscriptions as they exist within PayPal. Users will still pay per the PayPal subscription schedule. (I have never tested this explicitly but that does seem to be the case)
Xenforo is the best forum platform I've ever bought, however there are absurd things that they don't implement from the start that are crucial for a forum.

Hello, I have a question about this topic, that is, XF does not automatically cancel the recurring updates of Paypal and other means of payment?

Is this a limitation of the API?
But as @eDaddi noted, if you delete an upgrade from XF via your admin CP, that WILL NOT serve to cancel member subscriptions as they exist within PayPal.
If you guys haven't already, be sure to visit these links and upvote these PayPal related suggestions.

Top Bottom