XF 2.2 Does editing an active user upgrade end date in XenForo update the corresponding Stripe subscription?

RobinHood

I have a number of users signing up to a new community using XF User upgrades to handle the subscriptions. For this initial onboarding of existing users all of their dues were set to renew on the 1st July.

It is taking time for everyone to pay to sign up to this new service, and as such, the start dates will likely span a period of a week or two for this initial batch. However their subscription renewal dates should still all be on the same day in x months.

If I manually edit a users renewal date in XF, will the system talk to Stripe and update their subscription there to renew on the new date?

One of the big benefits of shifting to this system is the fact that Stripe holds the card details and renews the user's upgrade every x months, so I'd like to figure out how to edit these renewal dates without breaking anything for those who have already submitted card details, if possible.

In short no, XF only sets up the necessary configuration to start a subscription with Stripe, Any changes from there would have to happen in Stripe, though bear in mind that XF is generally only listening for payment-related actions. If you manually changed the subscription renewal date in Stripe, you'd still need to change the expiry in XF to properly correspond with that.

(It is worth mentioning that I don't believe Stripe's interface directly has a concept of setting an arbitrary subscription billing date. It only lets you reset it to the current date, though it does provide an option of scheduling the update, so it may be possible that this is sufficient, though the behavior might end up being a bit different as it does some proration stuff. To be honest, I'm not actually sure what events that would explicitly trigger and how our code would handle it. It's not really something that we've expected.)

I see, thanks.

Looks like I might be able to do it by waiting until the next billing cycle, then re-anchoring the subscriptions on the desired renewal day, which will trigger an immediate invoice using the existing card details and starting a new billing cycle.

Alternatively I might be able to update the subscription with a trial period to end at the end of the desired billing cycle, triggering a new subscription anchor start date.

It looks like you can backdate subscriptions when creating them brand new for migration purposes, but not after the fact.

Top Bottom