Add-on User Name hover.... FB Style...

Sheldon

Just ran across this idea as I was browsing Facebook. Not sure how hard it would be, or if anyone would even be interested, but I thought some "user" customization is always welcomed, and enhances a members experience at your respective sites.

Anyway, on your FB timeline, as you hover a name, it usually brings up there "pic", with their "cover photo:

fboriginal.webp

I made a mockup of how it could look on a forum, if something was implemented like this on XenForo:
hover.webp

I assume it could be done, have no clue about the time involved, resources taken, or anything like that. I just thought it would be an interesting feature to have.

Anyone else like the idea at all? Or is it too much?

I like it, however, it brings up a few questions. First and foremost: what kind of resource load is this going to cause on the server. That's a lot of member cards to be able to pull on demand; of course, it's similar to the topic hover, so it might not end up being that much(just answered my own question basically). Next, where would you be pulling the info on that card from? Would it be drawn directly from the membercard, or would it pull the information using similar methods as the membercard? I also noticed that big image in the background(behind the probable avatar image); where is that image coming from? Would this mod be coupled with a profile modification mod that makes the profile similar to the facebook timeline with the addition of that large banner?

It's a cool idea, but it brings up a good bit of concerns ;)

I like it, however, it brings up a few questions. First and foremost: what kind of resource load is this going to cause on the server. That's a lot of member cards to be able to pull on demand; of course, it's similar to the topic hover, so it might not end up being that much(just answered my own question basically). Next, where would you be pulling the info on that card from? Would it be drawn directly from the membercard, or would it pull the information using similar methods as the membercard? I also noticed that big image in the background(behind the probable avatar image); where is that image coming from? Would this mod be coupled with a profile modification mod that makes the profile similar to the facebook timeline with the addition of that large banner?

It's a cool idea, but it brings up a good bit of concerns ;)

I have no clue. I just thought it would look pretty cool. Hah. It seems like you could replace the "member card" with something like that, and use it on the hover as well... I don't really know.

As far as the image behind, I assume it would be a user uploaded image set at a defined size by the site.

Hm, again it would be an interesting resource. However, I think it will take a bit of execution and a good bit of planning on the admin's part; plus the work required from the site admin once it's installed ;)

Top Bottom