XF 1.2 User management

Cykros

Hi there all xenforo members.
I have a little problem that i would like to solve.I want to move all my users from a usergroup to another one but with a subgroup added to.Is there a way to do this?
Thank you all.

It might be a good idea to detail why you want to do this.

It doesn't sound to me like the thing that would usually need to be done. The permissions system is usually powerful enough to not require mass changes of usergroup like this.

This can easily be done using Batch Update Users in the ACP.

As Chris says, this isn't the sort of thing that should usually be done. I did this is recently because when I converted from phpBB a few months ago, many users did not have the Registered group as their primary. Batch update allowed me to correct this, making Registered their primary group and set their previous primary group as a secondary one.

This guide may be useful in helping with permission groups.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/

its about ribborns that are shown depending on the usergroup.
Thats why i need to do this.

I dont have problems with the permisions.I want to move the Users from Group X to Group Y with Subgroup X
What you have said, you shouldn't need to mass change the primary user group for this.

I'm guessing you're after one of two possibilities here:

1. You want the banner (ribbon) for Group Y to appear above that of Group X
  2. You just want the banner of Group Y

If so, then:
  1. In the ACP > Users > List User Groups if you click on a group, you will see Display Styling Priority. Simply set these so that the group banner you want to appear at the top has the highest number. No need to change primary groups for this.
  2. If you're just wanting one banner to be shown, then in Option > User Options you can untick Allow Banner Stacking. Again set the Display Styling Priority for groups as above. The group banner of the highest numbered group will then be the only one shown. Again, no need to change primary groups for this.

As I said in my previous post, it may be worth you taking a look at http://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/. As it says right at the start

1. All members should be in the Registered group as their Primary - that includes moderators, administrators and super administrators.

In the previous forum platform i was using i could change users from a usergroup to another one and a sub-user group to.
From what you told me above this would not be possible in xenforo?

In the previous forum platform i was using i could change users from a usergroup to another one and a sub-user group to.
Why would you need to do that on Xenforo? Have you read how to implement permissions linked in my previous post? How these work, if done correctly, should satisfy any usergroup requirements.

Best suggestion... FORGET how the previous forum platform did permissions and learn to use the power of how xenForo does them. Read @Brogan's excellent resource on permissions.

This can easily be done using Batch Update Users in the ACP.

As Chris says, this isn't the sort of thing that should usually be done. I did this is recently because when I converted from phpBB a few months ago, many users did not have the Registered group as their primary. Batch update allowed me to correct this, making Registered their primary group and set their previous primary group as a secondary one.

This guide may be useful in helping with permission groups.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/
Hey @Martok - would you mind detailing exactly how you did the Batch process. I need to do the same thing and want to make sure I do it right the first time. Thanks in advance!

Hey @Martok - would you mind detailing exactly how you did the Batch process. I need to do the same thing and want to make sure I do it right the first time. Thanks in advance!
ACP > User > Batch Update Users

In my case, when I converted from phpBB my full members had the Full Member group as their primary and Registered as their secondary. So I searched for primary group Full Members. On the next screen I checked that it has picked all the members correctly (use the View or match filters link to do this). Once I was happy the correct members had been selected, I then set "Set primary user group" to Registered and "Set secondary user group" to Full Members. Hit the update button and voila, it was done.

It's very easy to use, the important bit is to be sure in the first part when searching for the users you want to change that you have done this correctly and it has found just the ones you want to change.

ACP > User > Batch Update Users

In my case, when I converted from phpBB my full members had the Full Member group as their primary and Registered as their secondary. So I searched for primary group Full Members. On the next screen I checked that it has picked all the members correctly (use the View or match filters link to do this). Once I was happy the correct members had been selected, I then set "Set primary user group" to Registered and "Set secondary user group" to Full Members. Hit the update button and voila, it was done.

It's very easy to use, the important bit is to be sure in the first part when searching for the users you want to change that you have done this correctly and it has found just the ones you want to change.
Thanks a ton... I think I got it to work for all my usergroups. Nice built-in feature to have.

Top Bottom