user group permissions - individual permissions on top of default sets

Jake Bunce

I suggest adding default permission sets for usergroups. And then allow the user to specify only those permissions they want to change from the default.

Here is a mockup I made:

perms.webp

This organization yields several benefits:

1) You can quickly see what permissions have been changed from the default.

2) You can revert to default if you wish.

3) Custom usergroup permissions are more easily read and understood if you are familiar with the default permissions. You can say, "OK this is a default Registered group minus these two custom permissions that I see on the right."

_____

You can apply this idea to the other permission sets too. For example, in the Node Permissions the defaults would be the inherited values which you can choose to explicitly override with custom permissions.

Upvote 22
I know sh*t about the permission system (I didn't use the backend yet), so I am not even sure if this is a useful suggestion. But, because I can truly appreciate creative thinking like this I am going to give this a 'like' regardless. How about that?! :)

Jake I suggested this to Broagan on his Ttorial thread on permissions.
I think we definitely need this or something like it.
Otherwise I can never remember if I set things in the default registration.

I'd like another column in the Usergroup editor showing the default Registered set, for comparison.
Also something for the node permissions editor.

Just found this post, because I was looking for something similar. I honestly can't believe this post is this old, and nothing has been done to make this easier. The above rough sketch is nice, although I think two usergroup side-by-side comparisons when setting permissions would also work. I find myself having two tabs open when setting up user permissions. I'm guessing the only reason this issue has never really been addressed is because you generally setup your permissions and forget about them.

I believe XenForo could benefit a lot from a feature like this. It would make permission setup a breeze. Especially when you have a hierarchy setup where users end up being in multiple usergroups.

Edit: Till something is made/done to help alleviate this minor annoyance. I'd like to share this google chrome bookmarklet with you guys. Allows you to have a split tab with two pages. Not ideal, but makes things easier. http://www.chromeplugins.org/plugins/google-chrome-dual-view/

Top Bottom