Help needed in copying user group permissions

hello2029

Hello,

I apologize for any inconvenience. However, I am currently in need of copying user group permissions. Is there any way or add-on that can assist with this?

When creating a new user group, I only need to copy and customize it.

Why are you wanting to "copy" user group permissions... they are cumulative. If you want someone to have "more" permissions, you simply create another group and enable those specific permissions in it and assign them to it as a secondarym (which is really a misnomer, since you can have multiple "secondary" groups)..
The only time I've seen anyone needing to "copy permissions" was when they were trying to shoehorn the cumulative permission ability of XF into a "standalone group with special permissions" that encompasses permissions set elsewhere (think IPS, myBB, SMF and such).

Why are you wanting to "copy" user group permissions... they are cumulative. If you want someone to have "more" permissions, you simply create another group and enable those specific permissions in it and assign them to it as a secondarym (which is really a misnomer, since you can have multiple "secondary" groups)..
The only time I've seen anyone needing to "copy permissions" was when they were trying to shoehorn the cumulative permission ability of XF into a "standalone group with special permissions" that encompasses permissions set elsewhere (think IPS, myBB, SMF and such).

Thank you so much.

I may have caused some confusion in my previous statement.

Specifically, my issue is as follows:

Currently, I have a category named ABC, and within this category, I have nodes named:

Now, I need to create a new category called XYZ, and within the XYZ category, there will be new Nodes, namely:

Furthermore, I would like all the permissions and user group settings for ABC category to be exactly the same for XYZ category and its nodes.

If copying is possible, I just need to copy and rename the ABC Copy category to XYZ to complete the process.

If ABC has special permissions (by group) then you simply set the same permissions.. AFAIK there is not a "copy permissions from this category to that category" capability.
The nodes below that category should inherit any permissions you set on it, so it's not like you need to do it for every node.

Last edited:
If ABC has special permissions (by group) then you simply set the same permissions.. AFAIK there is not a "copy permissions from this category to that category" capability.
The nodes below that category should inherit any permissions you set on it, so it's not like you need to do it for every node.

Thank you for providing me with the information. It seems that I may not be doing it correctly.

I currently have over 50 user-groups in my xenforo platform. Therefore, when I create a new category and its associated nodes, I am required to manually set permissions for each of these 50 user groups.

However, I only want to grant access to and enable interaction with this category for a select 10 user groups.

Is there any way to streamline this process and save time?

Thank you very much. Perhaps this will be a temporary solution.

It will reduce the inconvenience to some extent.
There's a very good guide to permissions:

It can save a lot of time using this as opposed to trying to do it the way it is on other forum software. Generally you never have to copy permissions as most of the time you are only changing one or two things as opposed to having to make copies as with e.g. vbulletin

There's a very good guide to permissions:

It can save a lot of time using this as opposed to trying to do it the way it is on other forum software. Generally you never have to copy permissions as most of the time you are only changing one or two things as opposed to having to make copies as with e.g. vbulletin

Hello,

Thank you for your advice and assistance.

I am further researching the materials.

However, I can explain to you how I use Xenforo so that you can have an idea.

I use Xenforo to create a private forum for my family and extended relatives.

There will be common areas that all users can see.

Additionally, there will be numerous specific categories.

Each family will have its own category. Only the respective family can view and utilize their category.

Therefore, I have created a separate user group for each family.

As a result, there are many groups and categories and nodes here.

Each family will have its own category. Only the respective family can view and utilize their category.
In that case it is simple. Have a category for the family the Smiths and in permissions for that node tick private

Then in the list of groups in that node permissions give the Smiths permissions to view etc.

That's it, unless you may want to give admin permissions also.

Top Bottom