User Essentials [Paid] [Deleted]

• Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
I just found my way around all the User Essentials options I need. There's just one thing I can't find.

"My" users are children who tend to edit posts just for the sake of editing (just in case you didn't know: editing is so much fun ...). So I've allowed editing of own posts for 10 minutes only.
However, I'd like them to be able to edit thread titles and prefixes for unlimited time (e.g. to be able to signal solved problems). So far I didn't find out how to edit the title as soon as the 10 minutes are up as the "more options" is only available via the editing button for the post itself.

Could you either direct me where to look or which settings to check or confirm my suspicion it doesn't work the way I want it to?

It's called edit own thread title, and it also have a time limit set. If you want that to be unlimited, you have to check that off. You will find it in group permissions, maybe on node permissions as well.

Thanks, but I've set that already.

Registered users:
Edit own posts allowed, time set to 10 minutes
Edit own thread title allowed, time set to unlimited

I can edit thread title and prefix ok, within the 10 minutes. As soon as the 10 minutes are up I don't know where to go to edit the thread title.

@Chocolate cookie - I do not have you down as a license holder of this add-on. Are you working on someone else's site?
To answer your question, the user must be able to edit their post for that feature to work which of course means that your suspicions are indeed confirmed ;)

Thanks for the confirmation, even if that's not really what I wanted to hear ;)

As I know about programming about next to zero I'm not the one getting the licenses etc etc. I'm just the one doing the everyday work with the kids and the content ...
If you're worried about the licenses I can pc you the mail-address of our license holder.

You could set the post edit limit to unlimited and then change the minimum number of characters required to activate the logging of the edit.
So only after X characters have changed will the edit be logged.

It's not the edit log I'm worried about. It's that we promise the parents that we read every single post to make sure their offspring is save on our forum. So if I allow unlimited editing, I'll not only have to check all new posts but all edited posts as well. And as I said, editing posts is SO cool they'd start editing every single post every single day just for the fun of it.

Still, the add-on's great, with or without this feature working according to my plan ...

In XF 1.2 changing the thread title is done via the thread tools drop down menu. Although that is also restricted to the editing post permission, perhaps it could be adjusted to work independently as you desire.

Yes, I'm already looking forward to 1.2.
We'll see what kind of solution I'll find for the title editing. The "I" actually doing the problem solving not being me I suppose. I'm already driving our administrator nuts as it is ...
Thanks for your help! :)

I do plan to update this add-on but have not had the time to do so yet.
In regards to the Post Edit History, my plan is to transfer what information is possible into the new edit table.
Currently you will lose the edit reason and IP address as those are not available in the new system.

I will probably keep the editing of thread titles from within the first post as an option.
All other features that have not made it into XF 1.2 such as name changes, adding polls, and the user log, will of course be kept.

FYI
The next update which will only work with XenForo 1.2.x will have the following new features:
  • New permission to limit poll creation by user group or node.
  • Poll creators will be able to edit their polls as long as no votes have been cast.
  • New option to allow the editing of thread titles even when the time limit for editing posts has expired (using this add-on's title edit time limit). @Chocolate cookie

Top Bottom