XF 1.2 User Discouraged?

Giverny

Hi again guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble with a user that is showing signs that he's been discouraged by the system. He was initially caught by Akismet (I think) during the registration process. During the manual approval process, I agreed that the email address and username combination looked a little suspect so went ahead and rejected the registration.

Since then, he's actually emailed us for support and claimed he had been blocked from registering. I made him an account through the ACP and he's still having trouble with the site being slow, getting errors etc. which leads me to believe that in rejecting his first registration attempt, he may have been discouraged. Is this the case? If so, where can I fix this since his IP isn't listed in our list of discouraged IPs.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give :)

If there are no discouraged IPs, it would have to be his account specifically that was discouraged -- you can check this by going to edit it in the admin control panel. If that's no selected, then he shouldn't be discouraged; if no one else is complaining about speed issues, it could be an issue with his connection.

I've double checked everything I can. No speed issues on the server and the guy definitely isn't discouraged. I'll ask him to make a call to his ISP. Thanks, Mike :)

rather than re-posting, hopefully I'm not barging in but I just discouraged someone and they are still able to post. What is the discourage experience like?

I don't think they are going to leave. This person has brain damage and I'm not kidding.
Okay, thanks for chiming in here. Much appreciated.
It will be fun thinking about what this is doing. In this case, this method is better than banning.

(y)

Last edited:
I don't think they are going to leave. This person has brain damage and I'm not kidding.
Okay, thanks for chiming in here. Much appreciated.
It will be fun thinking about what this is doing. In this case, this method is better than banning.

(y)
It's always surprising how persistent some people are, isn't it! If you change the discourager settings you can make it even worse, to the extent that your forum will be virtually unusable by the user.

I am evil towards discouraged users, and only put that on users who continuously choose to ignore repeated warnings.

I set it so:
- they cannot post
- site takes 20-120 seconds to load
- 20% chance it gets redirected to a lmgtfy link that reads out 'contact us when you are ready to start adhering to the rules'.

Users who have been discouraged, after a day run back promising to fix up their posting habits, and they do.

Top Bottom