Implemented User Change Log

digitalpoint

It would be nice if XF logged important changes that happen to a user account along with the IP address and user that caused the change (in case it was an admin, not the user themselves)... Most notably:

• Username changed
  • Email address changed
  • Added/removed from a user group

Then having a change history tab under the "Edit User" page showing the user change history.

A perfect example of this would be when a user account gets stolen (from being phished or something). If we know what their previous email was, we can just roll back the email, reset the password and send them a new email confirmation. But restoring a stolen account gets a lot more difficult when we can't confirm the email address was actually changed or what the previous email was.

IP logging of the important changes ont he account is nice for tracking down people who are phishing multiple accounts.

You would be amazed at the number of users we run across that claim other user's accounts were stolen and that we should change the email to a different email for them... when in fact they are trying to steal someone else's account.

Upvote 20
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
A member here runs a forum that I used to frequent and it had been years since I logged in and couldn't remember the email address that I used or the login info and had I not run into them here they would have no way to rationalize that I was legit and not trying to phish out someones account.

Had a system like this suggestion existed and been implemented on that forum, that event of pure chance would not have been the only chance of getting my account back.

Top Bottom