Use machine learning to detect reaction abusers?

Earl

Well, What choices do we have? Imagine:
Visitor "A" creates an account, and start posting something valuable.
Visitor "B" has a different opinion and B dislikes "A"s post (negative reaction).
Visitor "A" triggers and starts disliking everything B has posted and they both end up on "Dislike war"

This happened on one of my friend's forum, and we're helpless.

Is it possible to detect such scenarios and use matching learning to prevent that from happening?

What choices do we have?
  • Limiting Reactions per day?
  • Limiting Negative reactions per day?
  • Limiting numbers of negative / positive reactions that can be given to the user "A" from user "B" per day?
  • Use machine learning to detect positive / negative reaction abusers, and reduce the value / Block / Ban abusers or move them to a different group that has no privileges to use reaction system.
  • hunt and ban / warn those who abuse the system
  • use criteria + notice + user promotion to unlock the dislike button and have a message like "You have unlocked dislike reaction, use it wisely, abusers will lose the ability to use it forever" in that notice
  • The negative reaction receiver receives point 2 and the giver has to sacrifice point 1 from his reaction score too.
What are the suggestions?

Hey @Earl,

Ahhh the good old "dislike pissing competition". Seen that many a time before.

I'd agree with AndyB on this one. Reward posters for good posts, not bad posters for poor ones. That said I'm using reactions for group content moderation on my upcoming forum, so allow negative reactions (and those reactions either report or remove content based on reaction counts).

If you want to keep negative reactions, here is how you can counter abusive behaviour:

1. Create a User Group "Negative Reaction Abusers".

2. Use Content Ratings+ by Xon (https://xenforo.com/community/resources/content-ratings-for-xf2-1.5600/) which means you can blacklist/whitelist to specific reactions per user group. Add "Negative Reaction Abusers" group, to the blacklist for all negative reactions/negative reaction groups.

3. Setup a notice "Your account has exceeded a reasonable Positive/Negative Reaction threshold and has been limited - once you provide more positive reactions you will be able to negatively react to posts again". Set that up based on a criteria of either "x" given negative reactions/negative reaction group reactions, or "x" reaction ratio.

4. Setup a User Group Promotion, which "promotes" the user to the "Negative Reaction Abusers" group, using the same criteria as your notice.

5. Setup another which "promotes" the user back to regular user group once they restore a decent reaction ratio.

6. Setup another notice to advise when user has full reaction access again.

Hope that helps :)

Set that up based on a criteria of either "x" given negative reactions/negative reaction group reactions, or "x" reaction ratio.
Is this user criteria comes with Content Ratings+ by @Xon add-on?
I already have installed and running [TH] Reactions Plus add-on by @ThemeHouse which also support blacklisting reactions with user criteria like this:
1592716367488.png

I only have user reaction score of at least X and user reaction score to message ratio is at least:
in group-promotions -> user criteria > content and achievements
1592716725289.png

I agree, I never install negative reactions, they are just too easy to click and can cause bad feeling. If you don't like a post, then you post to say why.

These are the reactions I use.
1592722368536.webp
Like, Love it, Nice One, Thanks, Funny, Informative, You're a star, Popcorn, Hugs

I agree, I never install negative reactions, they are just too easy to click and can cause bad feeling. If you don't like a post, then you post to say why.

I actually had a user (he is currently banned) who I knew would abuse negative reactions so I never even considered having them when upgrading to 2.1. I also don't use the Reaction Points system, which I know some users would turn into a competition or use against each other in some way.

In a way, I wish reactions did not display the username(s) of those who issued them. Or that we had the option to display, or not display, who posted a reaction, either for all reactions, or we could choose it by reaction. I sort of want to have negative reactions so that unpopular posts (and the members who make them) can get a bit of a wake-up call as to how their posts are being received, but not if it attaches members' names to them publicly. So for now, only neutral or positive reactions will be used. I would almost rather have a system similar to Reddit where posts could be up- or down-voted anonymously, with the down-voted posts automatically hidden beyond a certain threshold.

Is this user criteria comes with Content Ratings+ by @Xon add-on?
I already have installed and running [TH] Reactions Plus add-on by @ThemeHouse which also support blacklisting reactions with user criteria like this:
View attachment 228391

I only have user reaction score of at least X and user reaction score to message ratio is at least:
in group-promotions -> user criteria > content and achievements
View attachment 228392
Just wondering if you ever got this worked out? I am attempting the same thing but can't seem to figure out the logic here.

Top Bottom