URL redirects for DBSEO?

New Joe

Hi all,

I'm still doing lots of reading and think all would be fine to move from vB 4 to Xenforo
However we have just moved from VBSEO to DBSEO which is Dragonbyte Tech's new SEO platform.

So all internal and external links in search engines have these, so that last thing we want are broken links or links which throw errors.

Any ideas about this?
Could this be solved after the import to Xenforo?
Thanks

Someone is going to ask you to post some sample URL's so... do that! But chances are they can be rewritten.

Are you currently rewriting the old vbseo url's to the new seo or do you have it configured to output the same format as before?

Usually this is done in .htaccess (if apache, other rewrite engines use a different format) and can be done after import. The import to Xenforo has nothing to do with the rewrites as long as you keep the same content id's.

Someone is going to ask you to post some sample URL's so... do that! But chances are they can be rewritten.
Ok, here is an example:

www. myurl.com/the-movie-and-television-lounge/36657-still-open-all-hours.html

So it's like the above which is kind of like the old VBSEO urls with the; url/boardname/threadname

Are you currently rewriting the old vbseo url's to the new seo or do you have it configured to output the same format as before?
All done with the import tool, VBSEO was taken out after the install and import of the settings. But kind of answered that in my other post i think..

I think the most important would be the search engine links over the internal links.
As long as when someone landed on the url from a search engine and it got them to ether the Thread or at least the Forum then that would be great.

Yeah thats an easy one. I personally am no good at making the rules but just like someone helped me in support, someone should be able to get back to you on your rules fairly quickly. The thread ID number is in the url and thats all you really need for the threads to work.

Just make sure to keep note of what rewrites you want to do. For example if your using friendly url's on profiles you will need an example for that for the person helping you. Forum section url's as well.

Yeah thats an easy one. I personally am no good at making the rules but just like someone helped me in support, someone should be able to get back to you on your rules fairly quickly. The thread ID number is in the url and thats all you really need for the threads to work.

Just make sure to keep note of what rewrites you want to do. For example if your using friendly url's on profiles you will need an example for that for the person helping you. Forum section url's as well.
Thanks for the reply
Kind of hoped for something like that, I know once a licence has been brought you get the support part for things, but I'm just wanting to check out every last detail before pulling the trigger on buying it. I think this is about one of the last things on my mind.

Been reading for years, trying to take it all in so when I do go for it I will be ready...

If you look at your URLs, any time they have the numeric identifier inside the URL itself, it becomes trivial to do a rewrite.

Since it looks like DBSEO actually rewrites your forums to NOT include a numeric identifier, you might have to do the rewrites for your parent forums one at a time, but unless you have many hundreds of forums it shouldn't be an issue.

Ok, here is an example:

www. myurl.com/the-movie-and-television-lounge/36657-still-open-all-hours.html

So it's like the above which is kind of like the old VBSEO urls with the; url/boardname/threadname

I'd just like to bump this Thread and the above post
That is the structure of my URLS with using DBSEO, and those URLs are indexed in search engines so what am I looking at to do redirects?
I have virtually no knowledge at all about this btw :cool:

Something like

^/([0-9]+)-[^/]+\.html$ /index.php?threads/$1/ [R=301,L]
So is that all I would need for all my index urls to redirect to my site after the change over?
Where do I put that?
For me really i just don't want any blank pages or error pages, as long as the indexed urls get the person to the site then that would be fine.

Well that would be a problem then since both posts have you adding text to your .htacess file either way. Unless of course your not on an apache server.
Sorry for necro, btw I think this problem needs to be depeen. Do you know if this methos works with custom rules in DBseo? (ie. for forums url path is host.com/[forumname].html rather than default value that was host.com/[forumid-forumname]). I have for now some custom rules that doesn't give IDs of my forums, do you think that this method will work?
Thank you :)

Top Bottom