1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent help please!!

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Disciple of Nagash, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Disciple of Nagash

Disciple of Nagash Active Member

Hi,

I am looking for some technical help regarding my VPS. Story in a summary:

Ran out of space when testing Xen Foro.
    Because of poor response previously I decided to look for another host.
    During their migration checks my site & VPS became unresponsive. In the ticket I raised the host said I had run out of space, would need to delete backups and asked why I was creating them - I think they realised perhaps I was looking at moving.
    They said they had fixed it, but it is still unresponsive. They are also not responding to my ticket and complaint.

My problem is that I do not have the technical skills to fix on my own, it's the reason I purchased a managed service. I do have an emergency login via Solus, where the serial console appears to be working. But I have no idea what to do in there?

I would really appreciate any help.

Cheers DoN

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Do you have SSH access? Is this a VPS (I'm assuming so since you mentioned Solus). If so, SSH into your site, dump your current DB to a SQL file, archive your current site up (the root and all folders/files beneath it) and then use FTP (if it is enabled) or SFTP to transfer those to your computer. If the DB is good then it should be a simple matter of (on the new VPS/Dedicated server) importing the SQL file into a DB, extract your forum structure to the base website location and a little configuration from there and you will be good to go.

3. Disciple of Nagash

Hi @Tracy Perry ,

Thanks for the reply. The problem I have is that I don't have the technical knowledge to do what you suggest - it was the reason I got a fully managed service. I think in the future I am going to have to learn more, but in the meantime I am a little stuck. I know how to use FTP, import a database, sort out the file structure etc. I just don't know how to SSH?

4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

SSH is just terminal access to a site. If you have a windows based system you can use puTTY (it's free) or if you have a Mac or Linux box terminal is free with it. It's basically like being at a DOS command prompt but the commands are a different. I would offer to help, but right now I have so much going on that I'm just about overloaded.

5. Disciple of Nagash

Hi,

No problem. My new host (Nimbus) went above and beyond and really helped, so it is all sorted now. Appreciate the advice though.

Tracy Perry likes this.