[Urgent] Error - Please enter a valid message

Puntocom

When I try to post a message, I obtain this, and the message get lost.

Error

Please enter a valid message.

When did the problem start?
Have you made any changes to your installation between it working previously and now?
Do you have any add-ons installed?

Can you check the ACP error logs and post the content here?

I upgraded to Beta 3 some days ago, the problem was not been before. I noticed this some days ago. In the error log does not appear nothing in November.

I uploaded the tarball to the server and then uncompressed, so it's not probably a bad uploaded file.

Thanks for the fast reply btw.

I have asked the shared hosting provider if they have made some change, (no changes done), all addons are disabled (stop forum spam, likes review, users viewing thread)

When I put the mouse pointer on subforum menu, the subforums don't appear and this button changes its colour.

I have disabled the forums temporarily, is there any option to put them read-only?

It could just be some files weren't uploaded properly.
I have seen a few other errors relating to that.

My first course of action would be to re-upload the files and see if that solves both of the problems.

Did any of the add-ons you installed make changes to any of the .js files?
I know they're disabled but any edits might be causing the problem.

This is caused by the extra JS you have added to the header. It's loading jQuery 1.4.2 and interferring with 1.4.3 at the very least. You can confirm this by using the default style, where everything works.

well for me the fix was different...

I have a bad (or is it good?) habit of checking the /var/log/apache2/error.log to see if files are missing (404), and so on... So when I saw 100+ lines of this:
Code:
[Wed Jan 26 00:11:14 2011] [error] [client 1.2.3.4] File does not exist: /var/www/forums/jquery-1.4.2.min.js, referer: http://www.xxxxx.com/forums/index.php
I figured I'd take some proactive measures here to make sure that works! (It seemed important to exist!), so looking for the other jquery files - I only found jquery-1.4.4.min.js to exist inside of (xenforo root)/js/jquery/ folder... And I found another (older) jquery-1.4.2.min.js on my system, so I figure, why not copy that file into the same dir... And I also created 2 symbolic links in the (xenforo root)/ folder to point to those jquery-*.js files... Which gives me this (and also solved the apache2 errors!):
Code:
someuser@somedomain:/var/www/forums# ls jq*
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 www-data www-data 45 Jan 26 20:33 jquery-1.4.2.min.js -> /var/www/forums/js/jquery/jquery-1.4.4.min.js
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 www-data www-data 45 Jan 26 00:17 jquery-1.4.4.min.js -> /var/www/forums/js/jquery/jquery-1.4.4.min.js
But that's when all those crazy "Please enter a valid message" errors kept creeping up on my forums when anyone created a new thread...posted...etc...

Which led me to the search on this forum and to this thread... So with the advice above, I rm'd both symbolic links, and everything is back to normal again.

I hope with the evidence I have provided you will help solve this issue (or non-issue). Because there IS something wrong here, I just can't figure it out... You guys tell me!

Thegleek, it's most likely out of date templates or customizations that interfere with the core systems. Confirm the issues with the default style (of the most recent version). If you don't have problems, it is indeed from template modifications. If you still have problems, we need the URL.

Well, I found the mole... I powergrep'd 15,000 files in my xenForo folder and it came up with 1 single file.

It's kinda ironic since the style has widely become xenForo's most installed and most liked by the end-users... Yes, the mole is in Irsistas.

Code:
Z:\DOWNLOADS\xenforo files\styles\Irsistas\style-Irsistas.xml

Line #3572  <script type="text/javascript" src="jquery-1.4.2.min.js"></script>

1 match in Z:\DOWNLOADS\xenforo files\styles\Irsistas\style-Irsistas.xml

TOTAL:    1 match in 1 file  (15318 other files without matches not listed)
So is this easily fixed by changing that from 1.4.2 to 1.4.4 and re-importing the xml? If not, please do tell the entire xenForo community how to resolve this. Thank you!

I've not heard of that style and there are no other references to it on these forums...

But just remove the line. If that breaks something in the style, you'll need to contact the author.

Top Bottom