As designed Upload of files not possible for guests

Cibox

Settings for the related board and the usergroup "unregistered":
'User Group Permissions_ Unregistered _ Unconfirmed I unconfirmed_1.webp

and the missing right/button to "upload a file" as guest:

FireShot Screen Capture #087 - 'Reply To  Strainbase' - strainbase_net_threads_a-k_455_reply.webp

Registered users can upload files with the same settings:
FireShot Screen Capture #088 - 'Reply To  - strainbase_net_threads_a-k_455_reply.webp

Hmm, every relevant board software has this setting, but Xenforo not?

That's bad and the right managment for unregistered users shows rights which are not working and this sould be "as designed"? Really?

For me this is not what I wanted and thought what I would get as I bought a Xenforo license.

I can understand that guests should not vote on polls and so on, but posting images as a guest is not untypical for some board-settings.
I used this setting in YaBB and YaBB SE in 1999 -2002, in phpBB in 2002 and in vBulletin 2004.

I think, this is a standard feature in every actual board software, but not in Xenforo :LOL:

And if it was designed so that it does not has to work, than this is a bug in the concept/design of the software and has to be fixed in my opinion.

If not I have to migrate back to vBulletin, because I need this feature and it was not transparent, that this standard setting will be not possible in XF.

But thanks for your reply.
I searched for the keywords "guests" and "upload" and it did not find the older bug report (seems for me like another bug, but I think it works "as designed" too, because after visiting the other thread it finds it now ;) ).

I am a bit disappointed in Xenforo now.

On the flip side it also isn't an advertised feature of most forum software. It boils down to thoroughly researching a product before you buy it. Or just simply asking a question in the pre-sales forums. Also it's fair to point out that there's not many products out there which advertise the features they don't have.

Someone here may be able to make an add on or suggest a code hack to fix it, but unfortunately it isn't a bug. Sorry.

vB doesn't allow guest attachments either (unless you go back to vB2).
That would incorrect. vBulletin 4 can be setup to allow attachments.... Although I can't imagine anyone wanting to allow "guest" to post attachments. That just comes off as an easy door to abuse to me.

Maybe it changed in a recent version. I checked this on my vB4 test forum and the guest group doesn't even have attachment permissions.
Anything is possible.... I've not really played with vBulletin in a long time now (or at least it seems long enough).

Meh... Oh well.

Top Bottom