Upgrading To XenForo From vBulletin 3.0.1

icemantw

Hello Sir,

I want to upgrading to XenForo from vBulletin 3.0.1 and want to change current Big-5 to UTF8, is it good to conversion to XenForo?

Thanks

Chris

We can't offer any advice on whether you should switch, that's a decision you need to make.

However, it is possible to import from VB3 to XF and UTF8 is supported.

Thank you sir, I really want switch to XF, but VBB3.0.1 is too old, and it's use big-5, I really don't know how to start it T__T

My php is 4.49, MySQL is 4.1.25 and I'm failure upgrade to VBB3.8, Let me have no confidence at all........

Dear Brogan, so I just constructing an environment with PHP7.2 and MySQL MySQL: 5.5 then install XF?

But VBB3.0.1 will not run in PHP7.2 and MySQL 5.5, how do I do? thanks very much!

VB doesn't need to run.

You just need the database and attachments/avatars on the server so the XF importer can pull the content in.

Otherwise you need to update PHP to at least 5.4, assuming VB3 works with that, then install XF and import, and upgrade PHP to 7 at a later date.

I would note that our importers don't actually support vBulletin 3.0 -- I believe version we have support for is 3.6 -- so there would need to be an upgrade. It's theoretically possible it may work, but it's not designed to handle that version (so if you had problems, we'd have to recommend using a source version we cover).

VB doesn't need to run.

You just need the database and attachments/avatars on the server so the XF importer can pull the content in.

Otherwise you need to update PHP to at least 5.4, assuming VB3 works with that, then install XF and import, and upgrade PHP to 7 at a later date.

Thanks Brogan, my character is Big-5, I saw XF has Big-5 language pack, do I need conversion database to UTF-8, than do import and add Big-5 language pack?

I would note that our importers don't actually support vBulletin 3.0 -- I believe version we have support for is 3.6 -- so there would need to be an upgrade. It's theoretically possible it may work, but it's not designed to handle that version (so if you had problems, we'd have to recommend using a source version we cover).

Thanks Mike, at least vbb3.6, got it!!!

Thanks Niro, but I have over 1 billion posts, it will charge over $3000, I don't have so much money😭

Test this many times before you actually do it:
  1. Upgrade your site to vb3.8.11
  2. Upgrade server
  3. Import to XF
  4. Check what features you are missing and find addons for it.
  5. Import vb3 data to XF addons.

Top Bottom