As designed Upgrading from XenForo 2.1.0 to 2.1.1 disables Markdown

Steffen

Affected version
XenForo 2.1.0 supports Markdown. XenForo 2.1.1 introduces an option "Convert Markdown-style content to BB code" which is disabled by default. Therefore, upgrading from XenForo 2.1.0 to XenForo 2.1.1 auto-disables Markdown support and the admin has to manually enable it again. Maybe this option should be enabled when upgrading from XenForo 2.1.0 to 2.1.1?

PS: Thank you for the Markdown asterisk fixes! :)

For the most part, this is intentional.

Although there were some genuine bugs which added to the confusion caused by having Markdown available, there were also many more innocuous examples of Markdown changing content unexpectedly. A lot of people have upgraded to XF 2.1 already, but out of those I suspect the majority may get caught out at some point in the future by unexpected formatting, whereas those of us who have explicitly enabled it would likely not get fazed by formatting changes as we would understand what they are and why they happened.

I'll pop a note on the release notes at least.

Thanks.

Maybe this should become a user setting. I think it's not like "some forums like and others dislike Markdown" but more like "some users like and others dislike Markdown".

Top Bottom