XF 2.1 Upgrading 2.0.1 -> 2.1

Ark Royal

I am currently doing a test upgrade on my laptop, So far it has been running a couple of hours and it is currently at this stage

Does anyone have any idea how much longer it may take?

Also is it likely to take this on long on my live site, I can't remember previous upgrades taking very long at all?

Attachments

• 1549281102017.webp
    1549281102017.webp
    5.1 KB · Views: 5
That would be an unusual and unexpected amount of time generally.

Is it making progress past 32.8% or has it been stuck at that exact spot for a couple of hours?

If it is stuck and doesn't appear to be making any progress, you may want to see if refreshing the page in your browser causes it to progress.

The speed here is probably more indicative of the speed of your laptop and/or the MySQL configuration you have with it. Presumably your production MySQL configuration is more optimized for InnoDB.

With those stats, I certainly wouldn't expect hours. Even 15 minutes would seem to be fairly long, though not outside the realms of possibility.

I'd say so ;)

It's worth noting that in terms of the process that is taking a while, it shouldn't inherently be much slower than, say, a much more minor upgrade. So, generally, as long as your production server doesn't exhibit the same issues normally, I don't expect the 2.1 upgrade will trigger anything like that for you.

FWIW when I developed exclusively on Windows I tried a bunch of different WAMP-style stacks and actual WAMP and XAMPP themselves really didn't cut the mustard unless I got into the nitty gritty of configuration.

Before I moved exclusively to macOS I was using:

But on my still existing (but rarely used) Windows PC I use:

Both of those should be more fit for purpose for XF development/testing than WAMP and XAMPP.

I guess you just have to now weigh up whether it's easier to just wait for this to finish, or start trying out an alternative. As Mike says, you'd generally expect the entire upgrade to finish way within 15 minutes. Your forum isn't too unwieldy in size, and doesn't appear to have a complicated style so I'd agree that even 15 minutes is too long.

You'd likely be at the bit that takes the longest (importing/rebuilding templates) so assuming you're getting slightly closer to 50% completion of that then I'd assume it would be running for another 2+ hours.

Which is really just an unacceptable amount of time (it already is).

I commend you wholeheartedly on taking the steps to do a test upgrade first. Though I'd say, looking at your site, which doesn't look like it has too many style changes, and also doesn't look like it has too many add-ons (as far as I can see), that as long as you make a full backup of the live site you should be fairly safe to just do the upgrade.

If you get this slow issue on the live site I'd be very surprised.

Top Bottom