upgrade problem

bb5999

Just tried to upgrade from 1 to 2 and am stuck with this

http://www.nexusofgaming.com/index.php?login/login

From there I cannot log in as an admin, it is just stuck on this page.

Once the new files were uploaded and I went to the install link, I was taken to a regular install link, not the upgrade link.

As instructed by the install process I uploaded a new config.php file, but xenforo wants to rewrite everyting, start from scratch, and I can't have that.

Please help.
eric

Edit - I will add that the forum was closed, maybe this has something to do with the upgrade not working correctly?

Edit 2 - I did the upgrade via a mac and Coda. Did I overwrite everything, maybe files were not merged? Ugh.

Edit 2 - I did the upgrade via a mac and Coda. Did I overwrite everything, maybe files were not merged? Ugh.

That is possible. Jethro had a similar problem. See my post in his thread:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/unable-to-upgrade-beta-1-to-beta-2.7422/

It should automatically direct you to the upgrade. Did you remove the internal_data/install-lock.php file? Or did you perhaps overwrite the entire internal_data directory when uploading the new files? If the install-lock.php file is gone then that would explain the failure to direct you to the upgrade script.

You can manually go to the upgrade by loading install/index.php?upgrade/. The upgrade preserves posts and users.

I tried the upgrade link, wound up back at the fresh install. I don't quite understand what Jefro did, uploaded the ...install-lock.php file? Where do I get that?

Do you think that I overwrote everything? I am worried, as I also just found out that there may not be a back up. I am with a new host and thought they had something in place.

Looks like I might have really screwed up.

I guess I could not have written over everything, because the style preferences are still there, the database.... I just need help to recover everything, or complete the upgrade

thanks!

Does the internal_data/install-lock.php file exist? If not then you can create the file. It doesn't contain anything important. The install script just checks for the existence of the file.

No, nothing there, just index.html

You must have overwritten the entire directory when uploading the new files. Normally you want to merge. That means you need to recreate the internal_data/install-lock.php file and possibly the library/config.php file if that was removed.

Your database should still be there with all of your forum information. You should still be able to run the upgrade. The only possible data loss would be your forum avatars and attachments which are stored in the data directory. If the data directory was overwritten then avatars and attachments would be lost.

YES! That did it, I just created a blank PHP file with that name, in the internal_data directory and the upgrade is now complete. It looks like everyone lost their avatars, but at first glance, that is the only problem.

thank you, thank you!

Top Bottom