Upgrade includes old file

Mr Lucky

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that if I upgrade, e. from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4 and I download the 1.2.4 upgrade package as opposed to the full install, it should only contain files that are new.

However after uploading the upgrade and installing 1.2.4 I found that the node-sprite.png (which I had edited) was overwritten with the same file in the 1.2.4 upgrade.

As far as I can tell, the default node-sprite.png file in 1.2.4 is identical, so why is it necessary to include in the upgrade? Of course I had a back up of my edited file so this is not a disaster, but it would be useful if the upgrade package only included updated files for the new version.

Or a I missing something obvious?

if the upgrade package only included updated files for the new version.

Or a I missing something obvious?
No one knows that from which version do you want to upgrade.
Is it 1.1.1 or is it 1.2.1? Maybe 1.2.2?
Would need many combinations of downloadable files.

Exactly as whynot stated.

Packaging releases in this way means you can upload from any version to any version.
Otherwise you would need to pick a much more specific version and if you got the wrong one...

However after uploading the upgrade and installing 1.2.4 I found that the node-sprite.png (which I had edited) was overwritten with the same file in the 1.2.4 upgrade.
You should be using a custom style directory.

OK, well that sort of makes sense, but in that case what is the difference between the full install and the upgrade? Why not make it simpler and just only have the full install files/folders?

I understand that if an upgrade only includes new files, it has to be defined what it is upgrading from, but I imagine there are many customers who just like to stay up to date, so i think it will always be worth having an upgrade from the previous to the latest, e.g. 1.2.3. to 1.2.4 and then 1.2.4 to 1.2.5 and so on which only contains the new files.

The upgrade doesn't include the internal_data or data directories, which contain the user uploaded content. Thus, allowing much smaller amount of possible data corruption.

Top Bottom