1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating User Group Membership Question

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by Zanthor, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Zanthor

Zanthor Member

Let me preface this with I'm not a coder by trade but i can muck about and generally get done what needs done. I'm working on an addon that I can use to run a cron job using this guide.

The purpose of this cron job is to check if a users e-mail exists in an external database, and add the user to a group if they do. I've got it running, and returning 'success' for the users it should be, however the user doesn't seem to get added to the group.

Code:
            if ($users)
            {
                foreach ($users as $user)
                {
                    // leaving out my validation code.
                   // addUserGroupChange($userId, $key, $addGroups)
                    $userModel->addUserGroupChange($userId, 'xiLicenseValidationValidated', XenForo_Application::get('options')->imcCurrentMemberGroup);

}
            }

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. Zanthor

Zanthor Member

Did some more digging and found another example somewhere using a datawriter, this seems to have done the trick, but my question now is did I do it 'right', or is the method above ideal?

Code:
    if($mdbResult->num_rows > 0)
                        {
                            // Setup Writer
                            $writer = XenForo_DataWriter::create('XenForo_DataWriter_User'); // calls the XenForo User DataWriter

// Prep Groups
                            $groups = explode(',', $user['secondary_group_ids']);

$writer = XenForo_DataWriter::create('XenForo_DataWriter_User'); // calls the XenForo User DataWriter
                            $writer->setExistingData($user['user_id']); // tells the DW this is existing data to UPDATE an existing user
                            if (!$user['user_id']) {
                                return false; //or throw an exception because it's not a valid user
                            }
                            $writer->setOption(XenForo_DataWriter_User::OPTION_ADMIN_EDIT, true);           

// Remove the active group in case they renewed.
                            if(($key = array_search(XenForo_Application::get('options')->imcCurrentMemberGroup, $groups)) !== false)
                            {
                               unset($groups[$key]);
                            }
                            // Is the user already flagged as an expired member?
                            if (strpos($user['secondary_group_ids'],XenForo_Application::get('options')->imcExpiredMemberGroup) == false)
                            {
                                // Add to Member Group
                                $groups[] = XenForo_Application::get('options')->imcExpiredMemberGroup;
                            }

// Save our Work
                            $writer->setSecondaryGroups($groups);
                            $writer->save();

}