XF 2.2 Updates since we upgraded XenForo.com

1593085620567.png
Having upgraded XenForo.com yesterday, we've fielded lots of feedback and implemented a fair few changes.

Here's a handful of things we've done in response to your feedback.

Editor styling​

We've removed the gradient entirely from the unfocused editor, and changed the styling when the editor is focused so that the background now gets lighter on focus, in order to give an editing background that is more like the final destination background.

XenForo 2.2 RTE unfocused​

rte unfocus.png

XenForo 2.2 RTE focused​

rte focus.png

We have also rolled out this change to all input fields across the entire system, changing from the approach we've used since XenForo 1.x, where the background would get darker on focus.

XenForo 1.x​

1593082647678.png

XenForo 2.1​

1593082754851.png

XenForo 2.2​

1593082829501.png

Question thread changes​

While reading comments yesterday, it dawned upon us that there are times where the person who asks a question may not always be the person best qualified to select the correct answer.

For example, the person who asks the question "How do I charge my iPhone?" can select the correct answer by virtue of having tried each of the suggested responses, and picking the one that achieved the goal stated.

However, the question "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?" does not lend itself to having the solution selected by the questioner, as they may not actually be able to distinguish a correct answer from a false one, in which case solution selection should probably be left to staff, or a user group that is specially identified as being qualified to select correct solutions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Therefore, we have now implemented a new permission forum.markSolution, which controls whether or not users can select solutions for their own questions. If they can't, then the only people who could mark a solution would be those with the forum moderator permission forum.markSolutionAnyThread. If they don't, then the concept of marked solutions for questions essentially disappears.

1593084320477.png

Article linking​

You may have noticed yesterday that clicking on an article link within an article forum would take you to the first page of the thread, showing the article and the first page of comments, even if the article was highlighted as having New responses.

1593084715905.png

We've now changed this behaviour to act more like normal threads, so clicking on an article that you have already read that has new responses will jump you directly to the replies you have yet to read.

Content vote arrows​

These have been subject to quite extensive bikeshedding, but we have implemented some styling changes in response to feedback and we are discussing additional modifications. Watch this space.

1593085620567.png

Article user info​

In response to feedback, we have changed the display of article user info somewhat:

1593085345982.png

Bugs​

And finally, we're busy responding to bugs identified by visitors and those that we notice ourselves.

We've fixed lots of defects in the editor UI, BB code mode, previewing and text handling, some errors with multi-quote and many more.

At this stage, we are rolling out fixes live to the site pretty much constantly, so don't be too suprised if you find that something you thought wasn't working properly appears to magically fix itself!

Until next time...​

Toodaloo.

How about now? A whopping two days have passed. Would love to start getting even some simple things ported over, hopefully I'll be done by 2021...

What's the big hurry?

There is still a good 5 months left of this year.

Plenty of time before the final release of XF 2.2.x to come out.

What's the big hurry?

There is still a good 5 months left of this year.

Plenty of time before the final release of XF 2.2.x to come out.

If I weren't in a constant state of development then I'd agree with you. But every time you write software between now and then, you have to rewrite or port it and unless you have free time or money then you care

If I weren't in a constant state of development then I'd agree with you. But every time you write software between now and then, you have to rewrite or port it and unless you have free time or money then you care
And if you have relied on a third party for providing the product that you are developing for then you should know by now that it works on their schedule and not yours. That's something that you just have to deal with when working with a product that isn't your own.

And if you have relied on a third party for providing the product that you are developing for then you should know by now that it works on their schedule and not yours. That's something that you just have to deal with when working with a product that isn't your own.
I'm excited to get the new version, the sooner the better as I have to port a lot of custom add-ons. What are you talking about?

I'm not even complaining, if you can't tell that is sarcasm then perhaps I'd suggest you get out more.

Interesting... looks like I'm not the only that didn't see your sarcasm. Starting with your post at #160, then your replies to me did nothing to suggest otherwise.

Like @Taylor J has stated... be patient. If you can't... create your own forum software.

Interesting... looks like I'm not the only that didn't see your sarcasm. Starting with your post at #160, then your replies to me did nothing to suggest otherwise.

Like @Taylor J has stated... be patient. If you can't... create your own forum software.
Since you're still interested:
How about now? A whopping two days have passed.
You think this is an honest complaint? I'm just giving a friendly nag to show my interest. If English isn't your first language then I can understand. Otherwise, who cares? In any case, I think you should also be patient if you can't create your own software. It's equally useful advice for you. Your welcome.

Just posting the timelines for 2.1 here. It seems 2.2 is more complicated and taking longer to come out to beta. Consider the number of features packed in 2.2, chance is there are more bugs to be found and fixed.

Last 2.1 HYS thread was Nov 8, 2018
2.1 beta 1 was released Nov 20, 2018
2.1 was released Jan 30, 2019
Last 2.2 HYS thread was Jun 25, 2020

Last edited:
Just posting the timelines for 2.1 here. It seems 2.2 is more complicated and taking longer to come out to beta. Consider the number of features packed in 2.2, chance is there are more bugs to be found and fixed.

Last 2.1 HYS thread was Nov 8, 2018
2.1 beta 1 was released Nov 20, 2018
Last 2.2 HYS thread was Jun 25, 2020

Out of curiosity, you could have listed the release date for the public release of 2.1.x.

The trouble with the voting system is there appears to be no obvious way to cancel your vote.

Clicking up makes your vote +1, clicking down to cancel it makes it -1.

The trouble with the voting system is there appears to be no obvious way to cancel your vote.

Clicking up makes your vote +1, clicking down to cancel it makes it -1.

If you think this is an issue/bug with the voting system, you should make a new thread about this.

Xenforo developers said this...
"Please don't report bugs in the comments for Have you seen..? articles, as we will almost certainly miss them. Instead, make a formal bug report in our dedicated forums so that we can triage and fix any confirmed issues."

If you think this is an issue/bug with the voting system, you should make a new thread about this.

Xenforo developers said this...
"Please don't report bugs in the comments for Have you seen..? articles, as we will almost certainly miss them. Instead, make a formal bug report in our dedicated forums so that we can triage and fix any confirmed issues."
It isn't a bug apparently. But I agree it is very unintuitive. (If you voted something up, and want to cancel, you vote it up one more time!)

There is already a thread, but it was closed:

Also this one

Last edited:
Sorry let me rephrase that:

To upvote you click on the upvote arrow. To cancel your vote, you click on the upvote arrow one more time.

Top Bottom