XF 2.2 Updates since we upgraded XenForo.com

1593085620567.png
Having upgraded XenForo.com yesterday, we've fielded lots of feedback and implemented a fair few changes.

Here's a handful of things we've done in response to your feedback.

Editor styling​

We've removed the gradient entirely from the unfocused editor, and changed the styling when the editor is focused so that the background now gets lighter on focus, in order to give an editing background that is more like the final destination background.

XenForo 2.2 RTE unfocused​

rte unfocus.png

XenForo 2.2 RTE focused​

rte focus.png

We have also rolled out this change to all input fields across the entire system, changing from the approach we've used since XenForo 1.x, where the background would get darker on focus.

XenForo 1.x​

1593082647678.png

XenForo 2.1​

1593082754851.png

XenForo 2.2​

1593082829501.png

Question thread changes​

While reading comments yesterday, it dawned upon us that there are times where the person who asks a question may not always be the person best qualified to select the correct answer.

For example, the person who asks the question "How do I charge my iPhone?" can select the correct answer by virtue of having tried each of the suggested responses, and picking the one that achieved the goal stated.

However, the question "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?" does not lend itself to having the solution selected by the questioner, as they may not actually be able to distinguish a correct answer from a false one, in which case solution selection should probably be left to staff, or a user group that is specially identified as being qualified to select correct solutions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Therefore, we have now implemented a new permission forum.markSolution, which controls whether or not users can select solutions for their own questions. If they can't, then the only people who could mark a solution would be those with the forum moderator permission forum.markSolutionAnyThread. If they don't, then the concept of marked solutions for questions essentially disappears.

1593084320477.png

Article linking​

You may have noticed yesterday that clicking on an article link within an article forum would take you to the first page of the thread, showing the article and the first page of comments, even if the article was highlighted as having New responses.

1593084715905.png

We've now changed this behaviour to act more like normal threads, so clicking on an article that you have already read that has new responses will jump you directly to the replies you have yet to read.

Content vote arrows​

These have been subject to quite extensive bikeshedding, but we have implemented some styling changes in response to feedback and we are discussing additional modifications. Watch this space.

1593085620567.png

Article user info​

In response to feedback, we have changed the display of article user info somewhat:

1593085345982.png

Bugs​

And finally, we're busy responding to bugs identified by visitors and those that we notice ourselves.

We've fixed lots of defects in the editor UI, BB code mode, previewing and text handling, some errors with multi-quote and many more.

At this stage, we are rolling out fixes live to the site pretty much constantly, so don't be too suprised if you find that something you thought wasn't working properly appears to magically fix itself!

Until next time...​

Toodaloo.

What's still to come

While our previous "have you seen" threads have announced most of what's coming in XenForo 2.2, we haven't touched on our official add-ons. There are improvements coming to each of them (beyond getting support for changes we already announced in 2.2), but we're not quite ready to announce these changes yet. Until we do, what you see running here is essentially the same as the 2.1-based version of our add-ons.

Beyond the add-ons, we still have a few more improvements to XenForo 2.2 itself that are still in the oven right now. These include improvements based on feedback we've received from the previous have you seens and some improvements to things we haven't touched on yet.

Keep your eyes peeled!

I just ask that whatever features are added, we have the option to toggle them off if possible. It is nice having options. Thx

Looks nice, but sometimes I wonder about the rush to test alphas/betas.

All right, my iPhone is running the iOS 14 beta, but my iMac will not be updated to macOS Big Sur till it's very far along in the process.

In saying that, I do have a forum that I can use for testing purposes without seriously endangering its usefulness to me.

I have a dev site and that's where betas go. I won't put anything prior to a release candidate on a live site/system, and even an RC would have to be prove itself on my dev for a while.

That said, I get why Xenforo does what they do. Putting the alpha out here for us to try both gets it thoroughly tested by a group of experienced users so they know what they need to work on, and helps build interest for the coming upgrade.

The double brackets are so literal I cannot see them confusing ANYONE. They represent BB code, as, all BB code is within those brackets and non-admins (regular users) have been using BB code for how long now? ;)

The version number gets changed on the same day we release the public beta.

Then shortly after that is released the version number is changed again to Beta 2.

But ultimately it doesn’t matter what version we run here. It doesn’t really mean anything.

The version number gets changed on the same day we release the public beta.

Then shortly after that is released the version number is changed again to Beta 2.

But ultimately it doesn’t matter what version we run here. It doesn’t really mean anything.

How about now? A whopping two days have passed. Would love to start getting even some simple things ported over, hopefully I'll be done by 2021...

Top Bottom