Updates from previous versions

Wasserlasser

Hello everyone,

I am using a different Software at the moment but each time they release a new version it is almost impossible to upgrade it. You have to delete so much stuff and then it does not even work properly.

How is your experience with Xenforo? How do upgrades work? Are they fairly simple or is it a big deal as well?

Thanks

Wasserlasser

Hello everyone,

I am using a different Software at the moment but each time they release a new version it is almost impossible to upgrade it. You have to delete so much stuff and then it does not even work properly.

How is your experience with Xenforo? How do upgrades work? Are they fairly simple or is it a big deal as well?

Thanks

Wasserlasser

You don't need to delete any files to upgrade XenForo, I think you may be approaching things wrong...

Upgrades | XenForo

I don't think I am approaching them wrong as I did not ask about what you answered :-)
I said I am using a different Software, where I have to delete things to make an upgrade possible and then I asked if this is easier with Xenforo :-)
Meaning if I would have went from 1.3 to 1.4 in Xenforo, would there have been a lot of AddOns I would have needed to remove?

Wasserlasser

I have updated my XF couple of times, and it had been seamless, always. Just upload the new files (replace all where applicable) and run the upgrade page. That's all.
Actually there CAN be more to it than that. You DO need to check all the add-ons that you are using to make sure that they are compatible with the version that you are upgrading to and that no new features in the newer XenForo version might impact them (that has happened in the past when add-on authors used the same DB table naming syntax as the core XF and not the recommended process).

Meaning if I would have went from 1.3 to 1.4 in Xenforo, would there have been a lot of AddOns I would have needed to remove?

I recently did a test upgrade from Xenforo 1.3 -> 1.5 and only removed addons that included the functionality that was now part of Xenforo 1.5. What surprised me the most, is that nothing broke and the upgrade was quick and easy.

I don't think I am approaching them wrong as I did not ask about what you answered :)
I said I am using a different Software, where I have to delete things to make an upgrade possible and then I asked if this is easier with Xenforo :)

Wasserlasser

I missed the different software part :D,

XenForo works awesome in regards to upgrades. Really easy, you can update multiple boards in no time.

Top Bottom