XF 2.1 Update upgrade from 1.x to 2.1

Hi,
I'm currently working on upgrading my forum from the latest 1.x version to version 2.1

However, as this is a major upgrade where I needed to recreate my templates and choose new addons to replace the old ones, it took quite a while to finish setting the new board up.

The old board was still online during that time and new posts and messages have been posted there.

I'm now looking for a way to update the new Xenforo 2.1 installation with the new posts, threads and users of the old installation.
Another idea would be to somehow save the setup of the new Xenforo 2.1 (templates, addons), then do the upgrade from 1.x to 2.1 again and reapply the new setup.

Any idea what the best way would be to do it?

XF 1 add ons not work with XF 2

I know, but that wasn't the question :)

What I'm trying to do it:

1. Make a copy of the live 1.x board.
2. Upgrade that copy to 2.1
3. Setup the new 2.1 version the way it should be (new addons, theme changes, etc.)
4. Once finished, disable the 1.x board and reimport the data from the 1.x board (messages, posts, threads), keeping the changes and addons of the 2.1 setup.
5. Then go live with the upgraded 2.1 setup.

Steps 1-3 have been done, and I am not looking into a proper way for 4.

I'm now looking for a way to update the new Xenforo 2.1 installation with the new posts, threads and users of the old installation.
It's not possible.
Upgrading (and importing) is a one time thing.

You should be upgrading the existing XF1 site, not importing into a new XF2 site.

Hmm... but rebuilding the forum the way I need it to be took about 1 week, as it's a major upgrade.

I can't put the forums offline for a whole week :/

I guess the only thing I can do is... keep the new installation, do another upgrade and then manually move over the tables with the threads and posts into the updated installation.

That will be a bit of fiddling around. Too bad it's that complicated to upgrade Xenforo into Xenforo.

Why don't you just upgrade your live forum to the newest 2.1 with the new posts on it and then add to the live forum the changes you made which took you 1 week?

Don't do that - it won't work.

Any particular reason why it shouldn't work?
The general layout hasn't changed, the nodes are exactly the same.
The only thing that has changed is that new users, new threads and new posts and messages exist.
So if I re-upgrade the board and then move only the tables with the threads, posts, messages, etc. over, the settings should be kept and all new content should be here.

If you must do a new installation and import then follow this guide: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/importing-guidelines.25325/

A new installation won't help, as I would have to reapply all settings, addons and template changes again.
So it wouldn't be different than when I would simply upgrade the current live board again and reply all changes :)

Why don't you just upgrade your live forum to the newest 2.1 with the new posts on it and then add to the live forum the changes you made which took you 1 week?

Well, yes, hence my second question: Is it easily possible to export all the settings I've applied to the 2.1 installation?
That would be templates, style properties, general settings, etc.

Because I've changed quite a few parameters and don't remember all of them - so I'd need to go through everything again...
And rebuilding the menu also took a while. So I'd love to keep this, if possible.

Well, yes, hence my second question: Is it easily possible to export all the settings I've applied to the 2.1 installation?
That would be templates, style properties, general settings, etc.
You can only export your style, rest you can't.

Because I've changed quite a few parameters and don't remember all of them - so I'd need to go through everything again...
And rebuilding the menu also took a while. So I'd love to keep this, if possible.
Just re-apply the new stuff. Open live forum on one tab, and open the 1-week 2.1 version on another and re-apply everything. It will still take you multiple hours but not a week. You just have to copy/paste.

Top Bottom