Unhappy IPB Customer

erich

Hello,
As the title says, I'm pretty unhappy with IPB and I'm thinking about making the switch to Xenoforo. I wanted to talk with developers/community members about Xenoforo and the community as a whole. Currently I run my gaming community website on Wordpress. It looks nice , but wordpress is very very slow and the bbpress just sucks. I've heavily modified it myself with the help of the Wordpress community. I do get peer-to-peer support from the community at IPB but it isn't anything like the support I get from the Wordpress community. As far as the ticket support goes, well....the developers/official support is beyond unhelpful and awful.

Can Xenoforo do all if not most of the same thing IPB can do? IPB has a nice way to create customized pages with nice looking SEO friendly URLs. Is this something Xenoforo can do? Does Xenoforo have documentation about themes? I've built webpages for many yearas, and I've turned into a CSS Framework junkie. I can't stand themes/sites that don't utilize some sort of framework. To me, it brings peace and harmony in a chaotic realm known as "the web". Does Xenoforo have a CSS framwork similar to Bootstrap?

I'm interested in hearing from developers. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to some coding, but I'd like to get the info from a developer who uses it heavily. I generally modify my boards to suit my needs and so I'm curious how easy it is to work with? Is there good documentation? Does the community help out?

I've noticed a lot of addition/plugins to the board. Are the majority of them maintained? Also, as far as security goes, do the plugins that are available to buy, do they go through a quality check? I know the more plugins one introduces the more exploit chances can occur.

I think that's all I have for now. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Wow, that looks amazing!

So it is highly customizable? That is fantastic it is what I'm looking for.

So, I have a few more questions for you.

With the framework, is it possible to edit the way the individual forum looks? So, if a user clicks on the homepage news, it will take them to the forum thread....is it possible to customize the way that specific thread looks in that forum, or will that modification change the way ALL forum threads look across the board?

The other questions I have is

I keep hearing about XenForo version 2....will this come out anytime soon or within the next 6 months to a year? If it is around the corner, I would rather wait vs get the current version and heavily modify the board only to have some features outdated or redundant.

Hi @Brogan ,

I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate you answering all of my questions (as annoying as some might have been). I went ahead and purchased the software with media and resource options.

Is it possible to set my license to a test board so I can make all of my edits before pushing it to my main domain?

Yes. You are permitted one live site and one test site on one license; however, the test site must be password protected so only you and your staff can access it.

With the framework, is it possible to edit the way the individual forum looks? So, if a user clicks on the homepage news, it will take them to the forum thread....is it possible to customize the way that specific thread looks in that forum, or will that modification change the way ALL forum threads look across the board?
It is possible to apply custom styling utilising the node ID, so it applies to a specific forum only.
This would have to be done manually in the CSS templates though.

I keep hearing about XenForo version 2....will this come out anytime soon or within the next 6 months to a year?
It's planned for this year but we don't have a date yet.

I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate you answering all of my questions (as annoying as some might have been). I went ahead and purchased the software with media and resource options.
Happy to help and welcome aboard!

IPB has a nice way to create customized pages
Xenforo does not.
The pages in Xenforo are quite limited and rudimentary.
They have never received proper attention.

To prove the point, Xenforo LTD itself does not use them.
Yet they have the need for Pages (see here). They have decided not to use their own system. The page system used in help is unreleased software.
If pages are really important to you (and they are to many Wordpress users) .... you should demo pages accordingly.
Of course @LPH has a great Wordpress bridge.
And Xenforo is a great forum only solution.

Xenforo does not.
The pages in Xenforo are quite limited and rudimentary.
They have never received proper attention.

To prove the point, Xenforo LTD itself does not use them.
Yet they have the need for Pages (see here). They have decided not to use their own system. The page system used in help is unreleased software.
If pages are really important to you (and they are to many Wordpress users) .... you should demo pages accordingly.
Of course @LPH has a great Wordpress bridge.
And Xenforo is a great forum only solution.

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. I guess I should restate my requirement. I want to be able to make my own pages. I have enough html/php knowledge that if I can make my own pages with raw html/php, then I'll be ok.

I have enough html/php knowledge that if I can make my own pages with raw html/php, then I'll be ok.
I would say that is one of the major stumbling blocks.
Sadly many obvious things can't be done with pages .... like having a threaded discussion under a page.
This addon attempts to rectify the omission.
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/th-page-comments-paid.104196/

Read these threads
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/custom-help-pages-and-new-profile-post-features.78319/
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/pages.489/

Another limitation is that pages are only created in the adminCP. So if you have unlimited time in your life to do everything yourself and not get any help from mods or members ..... that's amazing !!!!!!!
Of course, the less people able to edit and update pages .... the more outdated the information.

I looked into the XenPorta 2. It looked interesting. I don't necessarily need an "article" system per say. What I need is a node(forum) to behave like one. My understanding is that they can, but will require some customization. I've seen this done on another users site which gave me some promise. https://hitsparkinteractive.com
I believe this user is using Brogan's plugin. It also seems that this person has modified one of his nodes to look similar to a article type system. If you look under his announcements threads, you can see what I'm talking about.

This home page looks like XenPorta2. I am just going by some visual queues mind you.
this person has modified one of his nodes to look similar to a article type system.
A feature about Xenforo is that you can style any individual forum as you want it.
It is possible too that XenPorta is styling the announcements subforum as the style of the homepage articles is the same as the annoucements threads.
https://hitsparkinteractive.com/threads/hosting.140/
Investigate it further.

I know Brogan's popular CTA Featured Threads & Portal can do similar things. Maybe hitsparkint uses it ? :)

This home page looks like XenPorta2. I am just going by some visual queues mind you.

A feature about Xenforo is that you can style any individual forum as you want it.
It is possible too that XenPorta is styling the announcements subforum as the style of the homepage articles is the same as the annoucements threads.
https://hitsparkinteractive.com/threads/hosting.140/
Investigate it further.

I know Brogan's popular CTA Featured Threads & Portal can do similar things. Maybe hitsparkint uses it ? :)

You know what? I think that is the same exact theme I'm using and it has a built in homepage using the Widget Framework.

Top Bottom