XF 2.1 Understanding font_awesome_setup

Kirby

Code:
<xf:if is="fa_weight() == 'l'">
    <link rel="preload" href="{{ base_url('styles/fonts/fa/fa-light-300.woff2') }}" as="font" type="font/woff2" crossorigin="anonymous" />
<xf:elseif is="fa_weight() == 'r'" />
    <link rel="preload" href="{{ base_url('styles/fonts/fa/fa-regular-400.woff2') }}" as="font" type="font/woff2" crossorigin="anonymous" />
<xf:elseif is="fa_weight() == 's'" />
    <link rel="preload" href="{{ base_url('styles/fonts/fa/fa-solid-900.woff2') }}" as="font" type="font/woff2" crossorigin="anonymous" />
</xf:if>
<xf:if is="fa_weight() != 's'">
    <link rel="preload" href="{{ base_url('styles/fonts/fa/fa-solid-900.woff2') }}" as="font" type="font/woff2" crossorigin="anonymous" />

I am not fully sure if I am understanding this correctly:
  1. Depending on the setting of stylevar fontAwesomeWeight either light, regular or solid flavor does get loaded.
  2. If the setting is not solid, the solid flavor does get loaded

So basically the solid flavor does always get loaded and the code could be simplified to
Code:
<xf:if is="fa_weight() == 'l'">
    <link rel="preload" href="{{ base_url('styles/fonts/fa/fa-light-300.woff2') }}" as="font" type="font/woff2" crossorigin="anonymous" />
<xf:elseif is="fa_weight() == 'r'" />
    <link rel="preload" href="{{ base_url('styles/fonts/fa/fa-regular-400.woff2') }}" as="font" type="font/woff2" crossorigin="anonymous" />

Is that intentional? If so wouldn't it make sense to only use the selected flavor?
As the default is regular this means that both flavors do always get loaded, that's ~142 KB font download (~12% of total page size)) that could be avoided by simply changing the setting to solid.

Would this cause any issues apart from the obvious visual changes?

I guess that unanswered 6 months old posts in the "Customer Forum" tells us something about customer support, huh?

I'm confused with this font awesome thing, too. And very unhappy about it. Font - 60%!!!
Why do all visitors have to download 3 huge wont files? Why every page has to load several times slower when only one visitor out of a million takes care if font is "regular" or "solid"? Please explain.

0.webp

Top Bottom