Browser issue Unable to use drop downs in gallery using Android browser

trapped_soul

Hi,
When using XFMG and default Android browser, on S7/S6 Edge users are complaining of not being able to adjust albums' privacy.
They can create an album, can see the menu drop down for setting privacy accordingly, but then clicking on them does nothing.
We've had several users complain about the same thing, so thought we would mention it here. Hoping it's a genuine bug and nothing our end.
I have suggested using Firefox and Chrome and both are working as expected.
Many thanks

Unfortunately, this appears to be a bug in Samsung's browser. I've spent a significant time looking for a reasonable workaround without luck.

Essentially, if you ever use JS to programmatically shift focus from a select element, it breaks access to any other select element on the page until the original one gets "dismissed" normally. In this case, opening the overlay shifts focus. It dismisses the select "chooser" correctly, but it looks like it doesn't necessarily reset the state 100% completely.

Unfortunately, this appears to be a bug in Samsung's browser. I've spent a significant time looking for a reasonable workaround without luck.

Essentially, if you ever use JS to programmatically shift focus from a select element, it breaks access to any other select element on the page until the original one gets "dismissed" normally. In this case, opening the overlay shifts focus. It dismisses the select "chooser" correctly, but it looks like it doesn't necessarily reset the state 100% completely.
Interesting. Okay so the million dollar, or £ question - where to from here?
One of those things we have to take on the chin, or submit some sort of bug with Samsung? We do recommend people to use "modern browsers" such as Firefox or Chrome etc anyway. Which of course is the best way forward but is this just something we have to just simply accept as one of those things?
Thanks for looking, for obviously considerable time, and taking the time then to get back to us/me about this. It's appreciated @Mike thank you.

I haven't found a clear way to report this to Samsung unfortunately. Their browser is based on Chromium, so it's possible it will get resolved when it updates to a newer version of Chromium (if the issue is some internal action). But otherwise--or certainly in the short term--an alternative browser is unfortunately required. It's worth noting that virtually all recent Android devices will have Chrome on them.

In the longer term, it is likely to be more of a moot point as the design of this page is likely to change. That's not viable in the short term though.

Top Bottom