XF 1.5 Unable to set up Friendly URLS

tribedude

I went into Options/Help Pages and created a help page called terms with some basic html content in it and put "terms" in the URL portion. Saved. Then went into options/basic board info/terms and rules url and selected the default, which is http://www.tinyhouseforum.net/help/terms , where that page should be, yet i get this error:

Not Found

The requested URL /help/terms was not found on this server.

what am i doing wrong here?

I just had a look at the server and the /help/terms directories don't exist so I guess they weren't created by XF. How can I fix that? I guess I could create them manually on the server, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of the control panel?

I have enabled friendly URLS.

Also after some checking, I see that none of my created content works - it all seems to generate page not found errors. It is a very new installation and I have just created a couple of empty forums and the help page, none of which work.

How can I fix that?

I disabled friendly URLS and the site does work normally. I would like friendly URLs however.

I have followed https://xenforo.com/help/friendly-urls/ as best I can but obviously I am doing something wrong or missing something.

I just did a phpinfo and see that mod_rewrite is loaded. My .htaccess file is below:

Code:
#    Mod_security can interfere with uploading of content such as attachments. If you
#    cannot attach files, remove the "#" from the lines below.
#<IfModule mod_security.c>
#    SecFilterEngine Off
#    SecFilterScanPOST Off
#</IfModule>

ErrorDocument 401 default
ErrorDocument 403 default
ErrorDocument 404 default
ErrorDocument 405 default
ErrorDocument 406 default
ErrorDocument 500 default
ErrorDocument 501 default
ErrorDocument 503 default

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On

#    If you are having problems with the rewrite rules, remove the "#" from the
    #    line that begins "RewriteBase" below. You will also have to change the path
    #    of the rewrite to reflect the path to your XenForo installation.
    RewriteBase /xenforo

#    This line may be needed to enable WebDAV editing with PHP as a CGI.
    #RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^(data/|js/|styles/|install/|favicon\.ico|crossdomain\.xml|robots\.txt) - [NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php [NC,L]
</IfModule>

I am not really sure where to put that allow overrides line though... It is not clear in the XF documentation.

Have you got any other .htaccess files on your server?

Is the location of the .htaccess pasted above in the forum room (domain root)?

Are you running an apache server or lightppd or nginx etc?

The simplest way to sort this would be to look in your httpd.conf file and change any "AllowOverride None" lines to "AllowOverride All" and then restart Apache.

Top Bottom