Unable to send mail for watched thread

Andy.N

Suddenly, I received hundreds of server error in the log

Unable to send mail. library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Sendmail.php:137 Yesterday at 7:22

Stacktrace suggests that when someone is posting, the forum will email it to whoever watches the thread, but the email fail at the transport layer

This mostly was caused by a failed updated I did on my Ubuntu server

Code:
# sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Setting up exim4-daemon-light (4.72-1ubuntu1.2) ...
 * Starting MTA                                                                                                                                                             2011-05-14 22:45:44 [16747] Exim configuration error in line 214 of /etc/exim4/e                                                                                            xim4.conf:
  authenticator dovecot_login: cannot find authenticator driver "dovecot"
 * Warning! Invalid configuration file for exim4. Exiting....            [fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript exim4, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing exim4-daemon-light (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 exim4-daemon-light
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Out of the box, we just use PHP's internal mail function (as does Zend Framework's mailer). This usually uses sendmail, or some equivalent wrapper. The path and arguments are configured in php.ini. I'm not sure if the path is now no longer correct, or if there are configuration issues in your MTA.

If you wish, you can switch to use SMTP directly in XF's email options, though I find that it is much slower than using a local MTA.

Out of the box, we just use PHP's internal mail function (as does Zend Framework's mailer). This usually uses sendmail, or some equivalent wrapper. The path and arguments are configured in php.ini. I'm not sure if the path is now no longer correct, or if there are configuration issues in your MTA.

If you wish, you can switch to use SMTP directly in XF's email options, though I find that it is much slower than using a local MTA.
Mike,
I will try to get someone to fix the MTA problem.
What happens to those emails waiting to be sent? Will they be resent or those new registrations email never got sent out?

Top Bottom