1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future Fix Unable to moderate Downloads with many subscribers

Discussion in 'Resource Manager Bug Reports' started by TnT, Mar 2, 2014.

1. TnT

TnT Member

I'm unable to moderate updates of popular downloads with many subscribers. Due to queueing tons of notification mails i get a 504 gateway timeout.

2. md_5

md_5 Well-Known Member

Is your email dispatched via the SMTP server set in the Xenforo config, or handed off to php + the server (postfix, exim etc)?

3. TnT

TnT Member

4. md_5

md_5 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately these sort of bugs are the ones that happen when using an SMTP server directly (I believe its mentioned in the caveats somewhere). Easiest solution is to configure it to use a local postfix which forwards to mandrill.

5. TnT

TnT Member

As mentioned in my first post, not the sending of emails is the problem. This is done in batches. The problem is the queueing of emails in the db. This process is the same for every delivery method and should also be done in batches.

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The same potential issue happens with threads/posts with thread/forum watching. Unfortunately, we don't really have a great general solution for this. This is something we may need to look into for a future version.

A possible partial workaround involves limiting to only attempting to contact people that have been active on the forum in the last X days. (On the assumption that if someone hasn't visited in months, they're unlikely to come back but that may not be an accurate assumption in all cases.)