Uk based Cloud host?

Paul

Well it seems that Vidahost.com have managed to completely trash my xF Database again, and are again re-installing their 15 hour old backup of the db. This due to "Catastrophic" Innodb corruption - which sounds exactly like the same type of "rare" corruption that happened last year which was due to a "catastrophic failure of the hardware on which it is hosted"..... We were assured that things had been put in place to prevent this happening again. Obviously they hadn't. :(

The problem was that it was rather cheap, and other than these issues, they have been relatively stable, with the occasional rare glitch here and there (Which is of course perfectly acceptable as these things happen).

Anyhow, unfortunately to fall foul of the same thing twice within 9 months after assurances has put me on edge, so I may need to spend a little more and look for another host. Cloud hosting is preferable, only because it's less "hands on" and cheaper then other managed solutions. Would rather UK or at the very least European hosted.

The whole forum runs with no advertising, and on donations only, so the cost needs to be reasonable. around 700 members (at most 30 or 40 at the same time) the cloud/account needs to be able to host around 5 or 6 sites (The others are nowhere as big). Currently 110Mb sql and around 4gb of files, less than 100gb of bandwidth per month.

Anyone any suggestions please???

Many thanks (I'm off back to pulling my hair out!)
Paul

You can always look into Linode, they have a London data centre, and soon they'll launch their SSD-hybrid solution (no extra cost).

The only 'downside' with Linode is you have to manage the VPS yourself, which may seem like a daunting task at first but if you send me a PC, I can help guide you in the right direction.

Go with Nimbus -http://www.nimbushosting.co.uk/

I switched over to them last November as I had reliability issues with my last host. To say have I been impressed is an understatement.

Firstly the respond really fast on everything. When I messed up a setting on my VPS (they do standard hosting as well) they responded to me within half an hour on Sunday evening, fixed it in under an hour.

Even non critical queries likes billing and sales get a response within a day. On the subject of Sales, Matt Cooper is superb. He actually called me at the start and during the transfer process, just to keep me updated. They do lots of nice little extras like that. When I had trouble with my old host they helped when they didn't have to.

Finally I have had zero downtime, my site response is much faster and the price is reasonable.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

EDIT: Oh yes. Their servers and staff are all UK based as well.

Reactions: Rob
I'm another Nimbus customer and recommend them if you want a good price VPS that's quick with good support and free migration (the latter worth its weight in gold, they move all your sites over for you). I've not had to do any installation, setting up or anything since I moved over to them.

Thanks guys for all the recommendations.

To their Credit, Vidahost pulled it out of the bag and offered me a free upgrade to one of their managed VDS's for the next year. Cant fault them for that, so took them up on their offer. They didn't have to, however to be fair the other overriding factor was that their support is UK based and nothing short of excellent.

When it comes to renewal time again tho, Nimbus will definitely be something that I'm looking seriously into.

Thanks again
Paul

Reactions: Rob
What was the IP of the DB server you used? I've got sites on their cloud package, and none of them have had issues.

That's good of them to put you on a VPS though.

Go with Nimbus -http://www.nimbushosting.co.uk/

I switched over to them last November as I had reliability issues with my last host. To say have I been impressed is an understatement.

Firstly the respond really fast on everything. When I messed up a setting on my VPS (they do standard hosting as well) they responded to me within half an hour on Sunday evening, fixed it in under an hour.

Even non critical queries likes billing and sales get a response within a day. On the subject of Sales, Matt Cooper is superb. He actually called me at the start and during the transfer process, just to keep me updated. They do lots of nice little extras like that. When I had trouble with my old host they helped when they didn't have to.

Finally I have had zero downtime, my site response is much faster and the price is reasonable.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

EDIT: Oh yes. Their servers and staff are all UK based as well.

I strongly suggest Nimbus as well. We recently switched to Nimbus from a horrible provider in Canada and Nimbus has been nothing but amazing. Support has been great and they have excellent knowledge of Xenforo.

What was the IP of the DB server you used? I've got sites on their cloud package, and none of them have had issues.

That's good of them to put you on a VPS though.
Matt,
.58 it was...

The only reason they did it was because i was affected by their only other large "crash" last year... Guess i was just unlucky :(

Another Nimbus customer here. Knowledgeable guys, fast response and no downtime. Superb service and best host I've ever been with in my 10+ years on the web.

Top Bottom