Two-step verification (two-factor authentication) apps used with XenForo

Wildcat Media

I am looking to compile a list of authenticator apps that work with XenForo, yet I haven't turned up such a list searching here in the forum or on Google.

I've used Google Authenticator in the past, and currently use the Microsoft Authenticator (which I like more). I believe there are others. I am creating a forum FAQ (as part of the Help system) and wanted to list other apps that might also work with XenForo. If anyone has used them with success, or if any have had issues (where we should perhaps avoid them), I'd appreciate hearing about them.

I know Authy was mentioned in a Have You Seen post, but I don't know if that is available on a free tier. (Or if the paid tier is only when you use Authy's push notification system.) A couple of articles on the Internet also say that Lastpass can do 2FA, yet I don't know if it's something compatible with XenForo.

TOTP tokens are standardized (RFC 6238) so virtually any authenticator app should support them just fine. You can always test to be sure as 2FA can't be enabled until a valid token is generated.

A couple of articles on the Internet also say that Lastpass can do 2FA, yet I don't know if it's something compatible with XenForo.
Hmm. Been considering them as a personal password manager but first I heard this. I use Google Authenticator for personal, MS for work. Both good. MS is moving towards MS Authenticator also being a password manager, so I guess that would fit with Lastpass offering 2FA.

TOTP tokens are standardized (RFC 6238) so virtually any authenticator app should support them just fine.
Any authenticator that supports OATH TOTP will work.
I'll put a note in our FAQ to this effect. 👍

I like to include a list of known good authenticator apps, since a lot of our users are not tech savvy. So far: Google Auth, Microsoft Auth, KeePassX, Yubico Authenticator, Lastpass and possibly Authy (although I'm unsure if we're required to pay to use it).

I also want to try one of the security keys that includes a fingerprint reader (FIDO U2F compatible). I may get one for testing.

I used Google Auth for a few years, but switched to Microsoft Auth and liked it better. There are a couple of minor things I would change in the app but otherwise, functionally, it does all I need, plus it makes my Microsoft logins easier to manage. I've never felt a need to find another, but it's good to see many of these listed. 👍

TOTP tokens are standardized (RFC 6238) so virtually any authenticator app should support them just fine. You can always test to be sure as 2FA can't be enabled until a valid token is generated.
"should" doesn't mean does.....

IMG_0997.webp
This is what I'm currently getting with the Authy app. 2FA Authenticator and Google Authenticator can read it just fine.

Top Bottom