1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Two-Step Verification problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by ŽivaAkcija, Jul 13, 2015.

1. ŽivaAkcija

ŽivaAkcija Well-Known Member

its failed on my test forum, all given codes over phone failed, and my acc its locked.

And after @Chris D suggested
     $config['enableTfa'] = false; 
    here XF 1.5 - Two-Step Verification and Security Improvements got another problems with error.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '$config' (T_VARIABLE) in /home/ateist/public_html/klub/library/config.php on line 1
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Rather than disabling 2fa, it might be worth trying to solve the actual problem.

My initial suggestion was that the time could be incorrect. Is the server time and time zone correct?

If it isn't please adjust and try again.

The config error. This is simply a case of some sort of error you've introduced while editing the file.

Use a proper text editor like Notepad or Notepad++. Make sure it is added to the bottom of the config.php file.
  3. ŽivaAkcija

i use notepad++ results are the same now cannot login on test forum.

Screen Shot 07-13-15 at 10.34 AM.PNG
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  4. Chris D

Your config file looks correct so it is likely something malforming the file. Try a different editor yet again on a copy of the config file copied from your live site (adjusting the credentials accordingly). Also try uploading with a different FTP file.
  5. ŽivaAkcija

fixed uploading over winSCP FTP, now what?
  6. ŽivaAkcija

should i try again, i set time zone to CET
  7. Chris D

You should be able to log in now without 2FA.

Now what is probably:

Make sure the following is correct:
    • Time / date and timezone on your server is correct
    • Time / date and timezone on your authenticator device (e.g. smartphone) is correct
    Once you have done that, disable the 2FA on your account. Then remove the line you added to config.php.

Then, set up 2FA again.
  8. ŽivaAkcija

This not works i try with Authy and google same error recieve again, all criteria are set it up in your advice, but wont work.
  9. Chris D

Does it let you enable 2fa for your account in the first place? If so there should be no logical reason for it to not work subsequently. To enable 2fa you essentially have to follow the same process as log in. It leads me to believe that you must not be entering the correct codes in time.

If the test board is available online submit a ticket from your customer area with all log in details and we will take a look.
  10. ŽivaAkcija

now i am install fresh 1.5 and try again if problem remains will open ticket inside customer area.
  11. ŽivaAkcija

i put ticket inside customer area
  12. Chris D

I have responded.

Short version of what I've just said in the ticket:

Your server time is out by approximately 20-25 seconds. My code was only being accepted once the timer in my Authy app ran down to about 5 seconds.
  13. Had the same exact problem. I synced my server time to time-a.nist.gov (it was the first one to respond), and same thing happens. Running Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    ŽivaAkcija likes this.
  14. Chris D

Are you able to successfully activate 2FA here?
  15. Yes, I didn't have to wait until the time was almost up for the code here.
  16. Chris D

Did you verify the time actually changed after syncing it with the NTP source?

For it to have had no effect it would seem to me that perhaps it didn't.

Depending on the exact Windows environment and how it is set up, a local time server may be taking precedence.

I suppose the easiest test is to see if it works by manually adjusting the time by 20 seconds or so.
  17. I didn't actually see it change, but it said that it did.
    I will add 10 seconds to the system time.
  18. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

I've also seen this myself using Liam's TF add-on. Started getting intermittent success when logging in. Turned out my phone wasn't syncing the time with the carrier, so it wondered by over 30 seconds.
    Chris D likes this.
  19. Chris D

And how far behind is the time on your device? That could have an impact.