1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two column forum

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by AndreaMarucci, May 14, 2013.

1. AndreaMarucci

AndreaMarucci Well-Known Member

I remember I've seen this some time ago but I'm not able to find it out.

Seeing the forum as is is a waste of space if you've a big screen. Look at mine on my 27" imac

Screenshot 2013-05-14 alle 11.43.50.png

Shouldn't be better to have this layout on two columns to optimize the space? The same thing should be done on the forum list page for example, just to avoid infinite scroll to see all the forums.

What do you think?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. AndreaMarucci

You're always the best Brogan. Now I've the tool to do it; problem is if this tricks are compatible with the soft responsive addon I've installed. I'll try to ask the developer...

Thanks!

4. Hoffi

Hoffi Well-Known Member

A fixed width waste space on both sides. Not really a good solution.

A perfect solution will fit in the space. I would go the way in the thread, but would also add a min-width for the li to get into one column on small screens.

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There's a reason why sites like the BBC use fixed width: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

Reading from left to right on an ultra-wide monitor is uncomfortable and fatiguing.

6. AndreaMarucci

You're right Brogan. In XF case the main things are on the left column as you can browse all the forum from top to bottom but the two column solution could optimize all the space in this case...

7. AndreaMarucci

As we're talking about that Brogan, what do you think about creating such a layout? It's possible using only CSS as in your two columns trick? I've seen here this theme and the idea of using a Metro layout is very interesting.

http://ss.rpdom.com/jd0g

8. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

Unless your forum is strictly for geeks, remember most users do not have screens like yours. 17" is normal, and 15" is still very much around.

9. AndreaMarucci

In effect you're right. My screen is too big for the average user :)

10. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

I guess my Sony FWDS42H2 is overkill then. :p

11. JMEWLS

JMEWLS Active Member

Can we do this per category?

12. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Yeah. you would need to find out the node ID and apply the node ID class to the category's you want to display the column layout in.

13. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

I've got my Ubuntu PC running through my 42" TV in the living room, and I have to set Chrome to 150% zoom to be able to use it