Twitter code change

Ryan Kent

I set up my Twitter integration today (ACP-->Options-->Twitter Integration). I noticed when turning on Twitter the ACP panel said "You may also specify up to two Twitter accounts to recommend to visitors after they use the Tweet button. More info..."

The More Info linked to twitter which provides a single line of code to add to the existing Twitter code, which will then suggest users add my website's Twitter to their list. Sounds like something I want to do.

My question is...where can I add this code? I checked templates and saw a lot of Facebook code but nothing for Twitter.

The code I wish to modify should look something like this

Code:
<a href="http://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical">Tweet</a><script type="text/javascript" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js"></script>

Found the code easily in both locations. You are a walking XenCylopedia :)

For anyone interested, by making this modification your twitter users can easily follow your Twitter page if you have one.

Locate the above mentioned code in the templates Brogan identified. After the
Code:
data-count="horizontal"

insert the following code

Code:
data-via="YourTwitterAcctName"

I will perform testing later today when I can locate some friends with Twitter accounts, but everything looks good so far.

You don't need to make a template modification for that - it's already there. You just need to setup the option and it will be added automatically.

frown.png
I missed it then, and still don't see it. Where exactly do I go to set it up?

Thank you Brogan. I am now clear on the function of those 2 fields.

If I may make a suggestion...the default text in the field that now says "ClipTheApex" is Via Account: @...

I don't believe it is intuitive or clear. I would recommend replacing that text with "Enter name of the Twitter acct you wish to recommend to your users" or some form of that verbiage. For the second field which currently shows "Related Account: @..." something along the lines of "Enter the name of a second Twitter account you wish to recommend"

I developed user applications for 6 years while working for Verizon Wireless. For quite a while I struggled with making user documentation clear enough, and my apps intuitive enough, for users. Then I ultimately came up with a solution that bridged this gap. I found various employees in my company who had ZERO expertise related to my apps, and had them try to use them. As I watched their thought process, I realized that many things which I thought were crystal clear, or didn't need explanation...actually were not that clear to users. I would grab anyone I could...new employees, switchboard operator, a janitor..didn't care. In the end my apps were more intuitive and my documentation clearer. Just sharing my experience here.

Thank you Brogan. I am now clear on the function of those 2 fields.

If I may make a suggestion...the default text in the field that now says "ClipTheApex" is Via Account: @...

I don't believe it is intuitive or clear. I would recommend replacing that text with "Enter name of the Twitter acct you wish to recommend to your users" or some form of that verbiage. For the second field which currently shows "Related Account: @..." something along the lines of "Enter the name of a second Twitter account you wish to recommend"

I developed user applications for 6 years while working for Verizon Wireless. For quite a while I struggled with making user documentation clear enough, and my apps intuitive enough, for users. Then I ultimately came up with a solution that bridged this gap. I found various employees in my company who had ZERO expertise related to my apps, and had them try to use them. As I watched their thought process, I realized that many things which I thought were crystal clear, or didn't need explanation...actually were not that clear to users. I would grab anyone I could...new employees, switchboard operator, a janitor..didn't care. In the end my apps were more intuitive and my documentation clearer. Just sharing my experience here.
FYI, those are Twitter's phrases, not XenForo's; see the link that "More info..." displays.

Those phrases may be a copy/paste from Twitter, but the page upon which they are displayed is entired XF, correct? The screenshot Brogan shared seems to be an XF screen, and XF would have full control over that page's content. I apologize if I am mistaken.

Either way the point I was trying to make is perhaps some text could be added or modified to help admins more intuitively understand the purpose of those fields.

Those phrases may be a copy/paste from Twitter, but the page upon which they are displayed is entired XF, correct? The screenshot Brogan shared seems to be an XF screen, and XF would have full control over that page's content. I apologize if I am mistaken.
You're right there; just wanted to point out that the phrases used are likely because Twitter uses them too. :)

Yes, they're just a duplicate of the terms used by Twitter.

They can of course be changed by editing the related phrases in the ACP.

Top Bottom