• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Tweet Topics - Auto Twitter Submit on New Thread

Couple things to check:
First check that your twitter app that you created has both Read and Write access

Second check that you have consumer_key, consumer secret and OAuth_token and OAuth_token_secret filled out.

I've filled out the form, created a test thread and have it auto-tweeted. Worsk for me. Thanks vbgamer45

i triple checked all that and all was good.
then i had somebody post that they couldnt reply to posts, only start threads. i logged in with a reg account and sure enough, no reply possible. i disabled this mod and the problem corrected. i reckon there is some sort of addon conflict with something i have running.

Couple things to check:
First check that your twitter app that you created has both Read and Write access

Second check that you have consumer_key, consumer secret and OAuth_token and OAuth_token_secret filled out.
Hey vBgamer,

Not working for me, although I've filled out everything correctly. Maybe there is a problem with the details I've filled in at 'dev.twitter.com/apps' .

I've checked and on the app has both read & write access. Any ideas?

Edit :

I've even tried disabling/enabling it. Then uninstalling/re-installing it. Nothing works...

Hey vBgamer,

Not working for me, although I've filled out everything correctly. Maybe there is a problem with the details I've filled in at 'dev.twitter.com/apps' .

I've checked and on the app has both read & write access. Any ideas?

Edit :

I've even tried disabling/enabling it. Then uninstalling/re-installing it. Nothing works...

M@rc, I get this working. I suggest you control your callback url even / trailing slash affects. Also it has to have write and read permissions set in the application.

Just out of curiousity, say if I have two forum nodes, one is the one assigned to the auto twitter and one isn't. If I move a thread from the non twitter one into the twitter one, will it get tweeted? I normally make up a thread in admin and tweak it and then move it into my main forum later, just wondering if it would get tweeted seeing its not technically a 'new' thread.

It would not be tweeted since it is not a new thread. Only tweets on new topic creation

When I modify my thread title and save the post, it get's tweeted although it has before. When someone replies to a topic, it get's tweeted. I wish there were a control option for these so that I can turn off.

vbGamer, have you given any more thought to adding an option to permit us to tweet only the threads we want to tweet?

When I modify my thread title and save the post, it get's tweeted although it has before. When someone replies to a topic, it get's tweeted. I wish there were a control option for these so that I can turn off.

I wish there were a control option as well. I'd rather not have replies show up on Twitter.

This sounds like a great mod, Im very keen to use it once there is some more positive feedback.

Until then others may be interested in twitterfeed.com - I use them, its free and it works flawlessly. Every 30 mins it checks the RSS feed from your forum and tweets the topics to s specific twitter account. Just note when setting it up make sure you set it to fetch the latest '5' topics from the feed. This is good for people who wont post more then 5 tweets every 30 mins, more then that you may need to look elsewhere.

Feedback... easy. If your not using something like this, then your missing out on traffic. Google concentrates and weighs heavily on FB and Twitter, and the new traffic I pickup daily just from the twitter feed alone caters it. The more updated content Google is finding of yours, the better your site will do in the SE's, especially now that Google concentrates more so on sites updating their content daily / weekly.

I agree with Anthony. I use a similar mod on vB4, and it is great for traffic. As soon as a new thread is created, the threadname will be added to Twitter with a link, and the spiders love it. As soon as a new thread is tweeted, I see a spike in traffic on my site. Plus, all your followers on Twitter will receive a notice, bringing in additional traffic. If the same thing can be done for FaceBook (not sure if XF already has that built-in, the vB version of it does NOT work (depsite the fix being promised for 4.1) and LinkedIn, and maybe a few other social networking sites as well, you'd be looking at an app that could really increase SEO with big leaps.

Major BUG:

I just re-did the cache for the forums and it seems to have spammed my twitter account with posts from the forum.

Seems to add it to twitter again now and then too, can't remember exactly when it does, will look into it, but that bug needs to be fixed!

Please make sure it only does it when a topic is created and nothing else!

Tweeting everything in private forums. It's not exactly a bad thing because I have 8 RSS feeds pushing to those private forums. Kind of creating traffic with absolutely no content on the main page.

This in turn pushes rss content to a private forum, pushes the content to twitter, and doesn't show up on the main page.

After the first 114 threads, I made it private so Google can't crawl the RSS content feeding to the forums. That's how I ran into this.

poopspant.webp poopspant-1.webp poopspant-2.webp poopspant-3.webppoopspant-4.webp
poopspant-5.webp

Hey Salty, if this add-on is tweeting your threads/posts from your private forums, why not just manually un-select all of your private forums from this list that says, "boards to tweet".

Top Bottom